Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dog Snob

I am a dog snob. I'll admit it.

I like certain dogs to look a certain way. I mean, a purebred dog should look like a dog who can do the job they were bred to do. It should conform to the standard as closely as possible. Simply put, It should look like the dog it is supposed to be.

Yesterday I went and watched the Alberta Flatcoat Specialty. For a breed that hasn't been split (working/show dog) like other retrievers, there sure was a variety! There was a lot of variety in head shape, height, and general build. This is where my snob tendencies come into play.

A Flatcoat shouldn't have a lab head, or a collie head for that matter. It is supposed to be a one piece head. Also, seeing as how flatcoats are supposed to be able to work in the field all day long they should not have so much hair that you can't see the dog, they also shouldn't weigh 90lbs.

See, total dog snob.

Flatcoats aren't the only breed that I pick on, I just used them as an example because it is fresh in my mind.

The Specialty itself was good- my friend Liz from Blazingstar took Best of Breed with her male Tinbie, and Best of Opposite with another home bred dog- Pipit. Yay for Blazingstar!!!





It was a pretty fun way to spend the day- I got to use Sarah's fancy camera and took lots of photos. There were no Cardigans entered at the show, and only two Pembrokes.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

hehe Amanda, you are funny :)

i love that pic of kaleb you took, and all of them really were great!!

p.s. Pipit was best of Opposite, not best of winners

onecollie said...

um....collies are also supposed to have a one piece head.....
you are not a dog snob, you just know your standards....I agree with you....a flatcoat or lab or golden for the matter shouldn't be so big & heavy that they sink the boat!!

Diggy said...

I have a problem with conformation siberians in that most of them could not be sled dogs. The other thing that bugs me is that a working dog often will not be able to win in conformation because they are too leggy, or lack coat etc. It's drives me nuts because the conf. dogs look pretty but they are too short and stocky to be sled dogs. There are a few kennels out there who do well with both working and show but in general it doesn't happen.

Blazingstar said...

great photos Amanda - thanks so much for taking them. It was a good day for us. And yup, it's all about form and function or it should be.