Saturday, July 11, 2009

B.C




B.C = Before Corgi


Before Corgi I was a Shepherd girl. I lived, breathed, loved, and adored German Shepherds. I was obsessed, I had scrapbooks full of cut out photos of shepherds. I dreamed of owning a big male dog with a quiet dignity, and a strong presence. It was the dog I pictured when I closed my eyes. I already had the dog named (Levi) after my all time favorite Shepherd named Denim. That's how obsessed I was.

No Joke. Can you believe it???

I sure can't. I loved my old dog Tina with all my heart, and I still love Kate, but talk about the wrong breed for me.

I don't like dog hair. Shepherds Shed. A lot. Like, more than any other dog I've ever seen. And I should know.

I don't like "needy" dogs. Shepherds are needy. Really needy. Like, whine and cry, and lose all confidence when you lose sight.

I don't like "guardy" breeds. Shepherds are protective. It is their job to assure you are safe from danger.

My favorite sport is agility. Shepherds aren't really built for this particular game. Can you say Cruciate?

Then again.

I don't like dog hair- Cardigans shed. Not as much as Shepherds. But still.
I don't like grooming- A Pyr Shep?? Hellllooo! See previous post about Boone.
I don't like barking- sigh. need I say more?
My favorite sport is agility- my dogs are 12inches tall, and have 4 inches of leg.

Regardless, Cardigans are my choice breed, and will be for many years to come.

I love everything else about them though. It more than makes up for their hair, their lack of height, and nearly makes up for the barking.....

7 comments:

Lybertygirl said...

Oh so true - We love our GSD but she is our one and only. we really thought GSD's would be the breed for us. We love our Maggie, but she is very NEEDY with an added dose of separation anxiety!

Isn't amazing how the Cardigans have all the good personaity traits of a GSD without the needy stuff.

Sarah said...

OMG that is great :)

your corgis suit you and your personality, i can think of a couple others i could see you with too... someday :)

Esther said...

Word.

:)

onecollie said...

too funny!...hellloooo!

Holly said...

I am so with you! My first show dog, GSD, was so glued to my hip and would scream when I would go out of sight or even if he could catch my scent. Friends would go to a show and know Beo was there because they heard him a mile away (they didn't see him).

Dawn said...

I understand completely. I cannot imagine my life anymore without a cardigan. Nope never.

Shep said...

I ran into an old gentleman of a bi-color today and had that sudden pang about how much I miss having a Shepherd.

And then I remembered the 1,200 dollars of damage done to my car when I was out of town and my last dog was having a nervous breakdown because he was sure my husband had killed me and buried me in a basement... ;) Plus, you haven't lived until your dog escapes onto the DIA tarmac, score!

But -- hahaha, yeah, the barking on the Cardis is absolutely the one thing I wish I could switch! *grin*