Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Criteria and Consistency.

I am a serious blog addict. I read blogs about cardigans, agility, training, obedience, and everything in between. On C Spot Teach (Stacy Peardot Goudy) she talked yesterday about maintaining criteria and people who blame their dogs when in fact it is their inconsistency in training that has caused the issue. It totally hit home because that is something that I've been struggling with for a little bit.

Sarah and I as instructors talk about the virtues and importance of maintaining criteria (even at a trial) and being consistent with your handling. I nag. A lot. I am known for being bossy. This issue is no exception.

I remember when I first started trialing Wicca- If she didn't stick her contacts (that is hold the two on two off position until I released her) we would leave. done. The amazed "why'd you do that?" was asked frequently. But, I stuck to my guns and because of that have a dog who completely understands what her job is.

That is until Regionals (or any other big event) when she released without a verbal cue from me almost all weekend. We have some work to do. It is super unfortunate that there are no trials between now and Nationals.

Anytime that my dog is allowed to come off the contact without a verbal release from me confirms in her little head that she can do what she wants. Every single time. Sometimes it is close- did she release before, during or after my words? And I don't always put her back at this point, or take her off. Which is bad. And I am paying for that inconsistency now.

Not only with my contacts (which thankfully are relatively easy to proof and fix) but that has also transferred over to my start line. Which already was not as strong as I would have liked. Ugh. And it is totally, completely, all my fault.

You'd think that someone who nags, and preaches, and tells people over, and over, and over again all about being consistent and to expect your dog to maintain her criteria no matter what, would know better.

Well, apparently I need to practice what I preach.

So Amanda- stick to your guns.

Moving on the start line- should mean you're done. Miss a turn. Do not pass go.
Creeping into position- one word only, do not rely on my body position to get you there. wait it out.
Not Stopping/Releasing before OKAY- means you're done. Miss a Turn. Do not pass go.

Simple rules eh? Why then is it such a challenge?

Well, who really wants to miss a turn at training, and who really wants to throw 12 bucks out the window on an otherwise perfect run. Well, no one. But ya gotta do it.

Last night Wicca was great in training. We ran some very challenging sequences. Her contacts were great. She early released once on the a-frame. Her start lines sucked. She paddles her feet. She changed position. She got up when I went back to reward her. Ugh. Did I put her away? No. Should I have. Well yes, of course. What was I thinking?

I am taking her out again tonite. Start lines and contacts are the theme of the evening. We are going to have a refresher course in what exactly the criteria is for our start lines and contacts....

7 comments:

Sarah said...

don't worry Amanda, I will be there to smack you if you don't stick to your guns :)

give Wicca an Inch, she takes 20 miles ...

you can smack me too if I don't stick to my guns - just not to hard, please.

it's not at all because you are competitive or anything .... I thought you weren't a competitive person .....

manymuddypaws said...

i am a little competitive. like, just a small bit...

but really it's only because I know my dog rocks, and if her trainer/handler could get her act together there is no doubt that she would be most amazing.

sigh.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Amanda always good reminders for all of us...and yah you nag but it is usually deserved and well timed...
You and Sarah are both great and making sure we are consistant...and it shows (well most of the time) in Tea's start lines ( I have a dog with a start line - yahoo) and all other parts of agility..
Now if you can teach me how to be consitant with a wiggly Cavalier you are a true miracle worker...cause if it kills me she too will have a start line...

Julia

Anonymous said...

lol julia- you're funny.

sit means sit. that's as good as I've got. :o)

see you tonite!

amanda

Diana said...

Yea ,my instructor calls that , "no stay, no play". ( Which Im sure youve heard before) LoL Diana

kathy bordergirlsmom said...

Good reminder for all of us, one of my instructors does a class where you have to write all your criteria for different behaviors and then everyone watches to see how well you are sticking to your criteria and I really think that helps so much, so you at least have a good picture of what you are trying to train and should stick to, LOL, but then we all need a reminder to remember/stick to our criteria because it is hard to be clear most of the time, much less ALL of the time, but one day I will be totally consistent, I am sure of it, LOL.

oddman said...

'...but really it's only because I know my dog rocks,...'

She'll rock even more once you stick to your criteria, right?

Damn, doncha hate being right all the time, LOL?

Keep it up, you can do it. And in 2 wks time too. I have faith in you.

andi