Thursday, July 23, 2009

Clicker training Chickens



Ever since I heard about Bob Baileys Chicken Camp I've wanted to go.

You think Timing, Criteria and Rate of Reinforcement are important with a dog? It is even more important with a Chicken. I think that by working on getting your timing right, and actually breaking down complex behaviors even more will make better dog trainers of us all. The Chickens can't really be influenced by pressure, or tone. It is all about the science behind the training.

No, I am not going to a Bob Bailey Chicken Camp. I wish. But my friend has gone to his clinics, and now has chickens at her place. She has invited a few people out to play. I am so excited.

Saturday afternoon, instead of packing for my trip I am going to clicker train a chicken or two...how fun!

I found a great article on the Clicker Solutions website about Chicken Camp and what it really means...


Oh, and in case you were wondering, Yes. I will be bringing my camera. :o)

4 comments:

Jules said...

that is so cool! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Bobbi said...

Ok so now I have seen it all, if you can train a chicken to do that then there is hope of me teaching Casey to sit....

Kim said...

I take agility classes with Daisy Peel and she loves to talk about this camp and proudly wears her t-shirt.

Very short attention span on chickens! Timing and rate of Reinforcement are so so important!

Elf said...

Also looking forward to your comments & photos about your mini chicken camp.