Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Best We Can

Wicca and I just got home from the best training session we've had in weeks.

We worked on everything on my short list and ran three sequences perfect- the first time. No bars, no bad handling. It was an amazing feeling. Her start lines were solid, and she is definitely paying attention to me. Our threadle, serp, and 270's were nearly perfect. My lead out pivots were mostly well timed, and we had a good connection tonite. I am so proud of her, and of me.

It is a feeling that I have missed the past few weeks. Like my heart wasn't in it or something. I didn't know what was missing, or why I was feeling so blah and stressed. But now, that it finally worked..I discovered the answer.

This morning I spent a few minutes emailing a friend advice in an effort to calm her down about Nationals. She was stressed about it, and how big her class is, and just being at such a large event. In my advice to her I found the answer to my own issues.

I am competing against myself. My goals are just that. My goals. They have nothing to do with any other dog.

I am doing this because it is fun. My dog loves it- screw ups or not. It is a great experience- one that many never get the chance to feel.

My dog is what she is. At this point (6 days before we leave) nothing is going to change. I need to handle her the way she is now, not the way that I wished she was. I will handle for my dog and what we understand as a team together.

These small pieces of advice that I gave out so freely really made me think about it. My little dog is amazing. She is a great dog, and has tremendous skill and heart. I have a good handle on her. I understand how to break down and walk a course. I am confident in my ability, and will keep calm and focused. We will be just fine, and we will do the best we can. That's all we can really ask for isn't it?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Amanda, I guess you had to hear it from yourself. What you were saying to Jo, is what I say to you woman. hello, you know this already. you just can't get caught up in what the other people are doing. focus on YOU. any energy you put into other people and their dogs is taking away from YOU and YOUR dog.

... remember the quote that I keep with me at all times... that is the essence of what you are talking about

... repeat this 1000 times and you will be golden ....

"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally."
- David Frost

You and WIcca will rock. Do your best, and trust your training.

And for the love of god, put on your sunscreen.

Diana said...

WhooHoo thats so great! Diana

Jules said...

Good luck. I would imagine it is easy to let your head run away with you when preparing for a National event, but you're right - it is about your goals and your relationship with Wicca - nothing else!