Sunday, January 31, 2010

Training Day

Today I packed up all four of the dogs and went to Cowley again to train in the hall. It is much bigger than the daycare space we are used to and there are always new dogs and distractions. Everyone did great and I am pretty happy with the amount of work I got done with them. It is nice to feel like I accomplished something. The funmatch on Saturday was pretty well a waste of time, but it was nice to get out and visit I suppose. As with all things it seems I enjoy training much more than trialing.

Wicca came to play scenthurdle. Our Calgary team (The Longshots) were supposed to come down and meet us but due to an injury they couldn't come. Wicca didn't care and played anyway. She is rock solid and never makes an error. I don't think new teammates are going to phase her very much but it would have been nice to practice with them once before the actual race.

I didn't do any obedience with Wicca at all. Just the scenthurdle. She needs an obedience break.

Pixel came out and did a few restrained recalls over the scent jumps, and we did some dumbbell work. I haven't started any scent discrimination with her yet, but she sure loves to fetch. We also did some heeling, and worked on fronts and finishes. Last weekend when we went to this hall she spooked in the corners a bit so we did some playing in all the corners and she had no problem.

Boone did heeling, some finishes, and we worked on some tricks. He was VERY excited to be there and had a lot of fun. His heeling is improving and he's able to heel heads up for almost a full heeling pattern. I am happy with his progress.

Vito even came along! We did a few shaping games, and a bit of heeling. He was a bit nervous at first, but was able to settle into work mode pretty quickly. I also used the new place to test out his tricks- he's learned a few new ones the past little while and hasn't had a chance to do them in a new environment.

It was a pretty great way to spend the morning! As an added bonus I was home in time to have an afternoon nap. :o)

1 comment:

onecollie said...

sounds like a fun day!......
I got to spend 3hrs driving the highway!