Monday, January 18, 2010

A Solid Plan

You all know I've been waffling about those stupid contacts with Pixel. I know I want to do a running on the frame, but how to teach it??!!! I've never taught a true running contact before. It's scary. I had to not only decide on a method, but decide on a method that is practical for me and my dog.

I don't have access to a frame every day. So it is really hard to do Silvia Trkman's method, or anything like that.
I have decided to use a Wicket. Any method of running contacts is going to require repetition, but with the wicket it's not as important to do it every day or as often as possible. I've been researching lots of different methods, and for my small dog I think the wicket will work pretty well.

I will take a picture today and post it- but basically it is an upside down U with feet. (similar to what I used with Wicca on the frame a while ago) Pixel will learn to run through (and duck) until it becomes just how you do it and she doesn't need the wicket anymore. Muscle Memory is essentially what we are relying on when teaching any running contact, and this method is no different.

The Plan:

Step 1- See Wicket Run. :o) On the ground- I used my manners minder, and toys to get her to understand what I wanted with the wicket. I'll continue to work on the ground for another week or so- taking the wicket to new places.

Step 2-lower frame, wicket on end...I am going to backchain at first so that I am sure she understands I don't want her to stop (remember, we've been teaching a 2on2off up until now)

Step 3- lower frame, wicket on end- running full frame.

Step 4- lower frame, wicket on end- adding challenges. Distance, Turns, my changing position etc. All of this will be done with the wicket in place.

Step 4- raise the frame, wicket on end- running full frame.

Step 5- regular frame, wicket on end- adding challenges. All the challenges we did on Step 4 will be done again on a full height frame.

Step 6- take the wicket away, randomly put it back. At this point she should be driving through the end of the board with no problems or hesitation. Her head is low, and she will run all the way off.

So, that's my plan. It may change as I go. Like I said, I've never done this before. Not sure how long each step will take, or what the time frame will be on the whole. It will be interesting! I know of a few people who've taught this way so I've seen it work. I do understand that there will be a chance that my dog might miss a contact here or there. I don't think any method is fool proof. But- this is what I have, and this is what I am comfortable with- I also think it will work.

I am excited to finally have a solid plan in my head, and a picture of what I want my dog to do on the frame. I'll be posting updates as I go.

5 comments:

Taryn said...

I used the same method for Jimmy, I call it using a Hoop. I didn't have such a well outlined plan, but I was relying on muscle memory to make it work. So far so good but we are only competing in Novice at this point. The only problem I have is that he is WAY faster than me so can occasionally beat me if I need to go around a tunnel to get to the other end of the Aframe. Also, since he is still quite green, lateral distance on my part worries him.

Anonymous said...

Do you have room for a mini A frame? I have one that I made from one piece of plywood, a couple of hinges, eye bolts and some chain. I wouldn't practice big heavy breeds on it but the lighter dogs it is great for and it is good for youngsters since it isn't very high either.

Maureen said...

just wondering why you thought this is a better way for her? I'm sure there are pros and cons to both and I would like to know your views on the subject.

onecollie said...

it hurts my head just reading about it!

Loretta Mueller said...

Go for it!!! I am doing running A-frames with both of my girlies!!