Friday, January 01, 2010

Other Breeds

I don't know about any of you, but there has always been a "list" of breeds that I admire and would one day like to own. This list has been in my head since I was 12 years old and mostly has remained the same with the odd change.

One of the breeds I have always loved the look of is an Aussie. The first Aussie I ever spent any time with belonged to my old boss at my first "dog job" (a grooming shop.) This dog was amazing- soft and gentle, yet spunky in agility. Cane was beautiful and I instantly wanted one just like him. They have been on my list as a "possible" for more than 10 years, and now they are off. After living with one for a few weeks, and spending more time with them I've come to realise that we just wouldn't be compatible. I still love the look, but the personality is just too "soft" for me. Among other things, I don't like clingy dogs...(michelle calls Davin a creepy boyfriend who never leaves her side.) I still like the breed, I have just come to the realisation that I couldn't actually own one.

When I first started in dogs I LOVED German Shepherds. Like I had cut outs of them taped to my bedroom wall. Two Shepherds later I am done with that. I think I fell in love with the idea of the breed, and when you spend SO much time around them you can't help but love them. This time I realised a little too late that the breed actually it isn't a good match for me...I love Kate to death, but I would never get another.

There are still plenty of dogs that I would like to have, and have actually added dogs to my original list in the past few months. :o)

Kaleb 14 weeks. Photo by Sarah.

Flatcoats...again, I sometimes wonder if I like them only because I spend so much time with them (there is a breeder in my area, and two of my close friends own them aswell). I am a bit of a flatcoat snob, so it would have to be the "right" kind of flatcoat. But they are a breed that I admire for lots of reasons. The cancer scares me to death, and I would have to take some sort of patience inducing drug, but I do think I could own one...one day.

Parson Russell Terrier...Wicca is actually a Terrier in a corgi body, so mostly it makes sense. :o) I love the feisty-ness of the breed, and the attitude is just amazing. They are so smart, and quick. I pretty much love everything about them. Again, it would have to be a certain "type" of Parson...but I will definitely own one (possibly as my next dog.)

this is Boone's full litter brother Harley

Pyrenean Shepherd. Before Boone I looked after a friends Pyr Shep and fell in love. And then when I got Boone I just knew he was for me. I love this breed. They are like no other dog I've ever met. More like a monkey than a dog. They are athletic, smart, a perfect size, and always try to make you laugh. The one thing I don't like about the breed is the spooky temperament. But- the right puppy, from the right breeder, raised right would be an amazing dog. I would love a smooth face pyr, but to get that would more than likely have to import one from Europe somewhere...that my friends is big money...I'd probably have to win the lottery just to buy the dog. It's still a dream though, and I would get one in a heart beat if I had the opportunity.

and at the end of my short list....

I always said I'd never get one. I remember saying not nice things about people who "cross over to the dark side." Well. Times have changed. I know a lot of border collies. I know a lot of nutso ones, and some very, very nice ones. If I were to get one it would have to be a nice one. :o) Seriously though, I think I have a very Border Collie personality and think that it would be a good match for what I am looking for in a dog. Smarts, Athleticism, Good Lookin', and well smart. Up until a year ago I would never have even considered a Border Collie, let alone admit it on my blog. Not that I have anything against the breed, but I am not a "me too" kind of person, and to get a Border Collie at this point is definitely a "me too" thing to do. But they are so smart. Like really smart- and they are built for agility. And they are now CKC Recognised. And they are cute (Hello??? Is this not cute?) So a Border Collie has definitely made it on to my short list.

Now before anyone gets any ideas, I am not looking for another dog. In fact I won't be getting another dog until one of my current dogs is no longer with me (and that, I hope, is a long time away.) But I thought it would be a good discussion on the blog...


8 comments:

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

I also really like all the breeds you listed but have nixed aussies, gsd, and pyr sheps from my list of actually owning one. Well pyr shep is off the list only because of looks, I like the breed but just aren't attracted to their looks.

Flat coats I LOVE and maybe someday...
Jacks are on my list if I ever completely go crazy.
BC's, again if I lose my mind I would love to own one.

Also on my list are Entlebucher's and maybe vallhunds(?).

Natalie said...

Hmmm my list is far too long to post here. Maybe that would be a good blog post for me. : )

Jules said...

This has been a really interesting discussion - I think my top 5(other than a Cardigan) for future dogs are:

Standard Schnauzer
Welsh Terrier
Parson Russell Terrier
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Shepherd

Of course, I plan on stickign with cardis for quite some time, if I have my way.

Red Dog Mom said...

This is an interesting discussion... My tops would be:

Sheltie
Papillion
Italian Greyhound (house dog only!)
BC

Judy said...

Wow, Boone and Harley are quite different. There is quite a variance conformationly in the breed. Still its a breed I think I want
Interesting about the BC...If I had one I would like it to be just like Gyp in every way.

Nicki said...

I'm one of the few left who had a BC before I had agility. I loved that he would do anything with me and do it all day long, that he followed me everywhere, was beautiful, and smart. I'll probably always have one. I love my pom too but don't know if I'd have another or not-it would have to be the right one. Dogs that used to be on my list-corgi, parson Russel, and papillion. Dogs still on the list-goldens and cattle dogs. Good discussion.

Blazingstar said...

flat-coat, flat-coat, flat-coat.... you know that's really the #1 on your list..... :-)

I sometimes ponder other breeds, but then come right back to flat-coats!! Tinbie, however, would like a beagle, a jack russell terrier and a daschund.

Elf said...

Many years ago, preagility, I thought I wanted a border collie. Then I got into agility and thought more and more that I did NOT want a border collie, because they can be wacko over the top and because EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE--boring!

Now i have a border collie. She is beautiful. She is smart. She is driven. She is funny and makes me laugh. She's not nearly as over-the-top as my mix is, although she is definitely sometimes in the wacko category.

And yet--not sure I'd so another BC. And some of it might still be that everyone else has one.