Monday, June 15, 2009

A Punch to the Gut

A great dog died yesterday. I cried. He was diagnosed with cancer a week ago. He was actually entered to run at regionals. Of course, he was pulled. But he came along with his family, and it was nice to see him one last time. He actually died at the site, and was surrounded by people who loved him. It was heartbreaking, and totally unexpected. His owners were devasted. As dog lovers and owners I think we can all understand their pain and grief.

Sarah and I gave a little speech (through tears) about how we need to cherish and love our dogs. Their time with us is so short. In the sport of Agility we are like family. We all cried for Chopin yesterday. I don't think anyone was immune to the grief, even though some had never met him.

Our dogs are our life, our love. Death is like a punch to the gut that knocks the wind out. It is a devastating blow. One that is only comforted by the fact that we loved them. We gave them our all, our heart, and our soul.

This particular dog was a National Champion, and had many agility titles and awards. When we talked about him, we didn't talk about that. Titles, awards, and the like aren't what made that dog special. Our dogs are so much more than that.

It takes my breath away to even think about my dogs death. I can feel the tears welling. This weekend I thought of Sam a lot. I still miss him something fierce. I still have his photo by my bed. It has been almost a year and the pain is that strong.

I gave each of my dogs a great big hug when I got home last night, and for the most part it made me feel better. I vow to cherish every moment with them, because you just never know.

So hug your dogs tonite, and take a moment to remember the ones long gone.

7 comments:

Marcy said...

Gave my girls a hug. Thought of Nikki. Now you're making me cry.
I get it. I totally get it.

Joanna said...

I know you've made us all think about that one dog that makes us tear up. Thanks for posting this reminder.

Anonymous said...

I cried for your friend and for your loss, every time some one loses a dog we all lose a dog. They hold our hearts.

Dawn said...

I too teared up, for your friend, for you and yes remembering my special girl. Angel wings always surround us, and some of those wings bleong to the furred ones who have gone before, but always with us.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Thank you for the reminder...as our corgi kids age...now 7 & 9, we think about this more with a lump in our throat. It's half your heart, and losing family. We love 'em, and it kills us when they go....

Elf said...

How true about when one person loses a dog, we all do--not only their dog because we knew them, but we relive our own losses.

This episode sounds so very close to our recent experience. Dog cancer sucks.

onecollie said...

so now I'm crying & I have to leave for work...
after the loss of my Drake, & when I got Tate, I vowed to make each & every day special for him, & now Kort,....my dogs are my world, & spoiled beyond belief, I admitt it, but I don't care, if they leave this earth, I will be happy knowing that every day was a great day for them....