Thursday, November 05, 2009

Pixels Class- Week 1

We don't really have a name for this class- or I would just call it that...but it is a continuation of our 101 class- more focus on handling, less focus (no focus) on contacts. Sarah and I teach the first class of 10 dogs, and then Kim comes to teach the second (the same class, different students). I get to participate as a student. It's a pretty great deal.

I have been doing 2 poles with Pixel at home, but haven't done them anywhere else. She had no problem last night, although I do need to make sure that I start adding my movement. Until this point I've pretty much been stationary until she hits the entry and I throw the toy.

We did an exercise on acceleration/deceleration last night- just on the flat. Pixel thought it was great, but couldn't get the concept of the deceleration...funny, because we do this all the time...

We had a four jump grid set up, worked on sending, running with, and recalling over the line. She did great- her jumping is very effortless, and hopefully she continues to be a clean jumper.

The next exercises were about front and rear crosses. Pixel had no problem with these, although I need to make sure that I am rewarding in the correct place.

The class ended with a 180. I brought out the ball (her favorite) and pretty much blew her little brain. She kept going out, waaaaay out, in anticipation of the ball. I ended up having to go back to a lower value item (i.e food) and then she was succesful.

I have been working on using the ball more in training- before she used to completely zone out- she was like the seagulls on Finding Nemo. Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball...


Now she is to the point where she can work, and think through the excitement- but she tends to drift away...HOPING that the ball will be thrown. The ball will be a great tool though, so I intend to work through her obsession.

Anyway, the class went great. Not just Pixels class either, but both groups of students are doing really well. We have some pretty keen new people, which is great!

1 comment:

Loretta Mueller said...

Klink used to be like that with all toys. I put the toys in tupperware so she couldn't GET them but could see them...and when I chose to let her have the toy then I could control when she got it...she figured it out very quickly :) Sounds like Pixel is doing great!