Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Boys Stink

I am sure that I won't be the only one blogging about this today, but hey- I can't be original all the time! :o)

Susan Garrett blogged this morning about her preference of girl over boy dogs. I am in the same boat. I LOVE a girl dog- the attitude, the problem solving, the pushiness. All of that is what I like to live with, and to train. In my experience Boy dogs are pushovers, hard to focus, slower to learn (although once they get it, they get it), and just more "go with the flow" types. There is nothing wrong with that of course, it's just not what I like.

Why then do I have two boy dogs? By chance really. Vito wasn't planned, and neither was Boone. I like the dogs personality (and looks in the case of Vito) But I do find them a challenge to work and live with compared to the girls. Vito is so sensitive and cuddly, and always at your feet. Seriously, you can't pee in private when you live with a Vito. Boone is super smart, but not much of a "think outside the box" kinda guy. He will just keep throwing behaviors at you hoping that one of them will be right- not really thinking about what it is I want. I mean, I love my boy dogs but it would not be my choice to get another.

The girl dogs were planned. Wicca is a bitch, through and through. That's just part of who she is, and I love that. She has no qualms about telling me I was wrong, or choosing her own path if I've screwed up. She is not dependant on me to make her choices. I like that. Pixel is not a hard edged dog like Wicca but is still a girl in every other sense- she is super sassy, and opinionated. She is very smart, but often over-thinks things. I have to be careful that I am super precise in my training as she often will learn the wrong thing if my timing is off. She will do what I want generally, but isn't afraid to vocalise her displeasure. (Her little grunts and groans are about the cutest thing ever)

I didn't always think this way though. Way back when I wanted a masculine looking German Shepherd for competitive obedience. There was a dog that belonged to a friend that I loved. His name was Denim and man did I love that dog. He made me want a boy dog, and when I got my first purebred dog I wanted the only male in the litter but he was spoken for. I came home with a female and fell in love with that personality.

So what do you prefer and why? Everyone will have an opinion on this so I assume we'll be seeing lots of blog posts about this topic in the next few days! Susan is a trend setter for a reason I suppose. :o)

14 comments:

Lybertygirl said...

I am the oppostie - I love the boys - they are so cuddly!

Jules said...

I don't know yet. Growing up we had predominantly boy dogs; One bitch who was a OIL dog. Now I have two boys and work with a bitch. I have to admit I LOVE the work ethic of the bitch, but I really like my boys. I think my next dog will be a bitch just so I can try and figure out my preference. I also think a bitch would be a better fit in my house, BUT I could be wrong about which way I'll go! :-)

Taryn said...

I've always had boys, so I can't make the comparison. If you are saying the girls are pushier and more opinionated, I don't think I could stand it! My boys are both VERY opinionated, and try to be in charge of the decision making. My next dog will probably be a girl, however, just to experience something new.

colleen said...

Haha, the peeing in private thing made me laugh out loud! If I ever dare to lock Oliver out of the bathroom, he shoves his little arms waaaaay under the door, wiggles them back and forth and whimpers until I let him in. He views me on the toilet as the perfect opportunity to try to climb up on my lap.

I love my sappy little boy...although sometimes I really wish I could light a fire under his ass.

Traci said...

I would have a house loaded with boy dogs over girl dogs ANY day! The boys looooove me and want to be with me... the girls could take me or leave me. Another huge plus - boys over girls - is that boys dont' bleed every 5 months (thank you very much Sedona). :)

Dawn said...

OK, I love all my dogs for different reasons. I love the boy dogs for the ease of living with. I think living with boys is so much easier, they want to please, they are usually rather cooperative. But, I love the independence and thinking of girls. I love the bossiness, naughty thinking behaviors. So honestly for me my favorite depends on my current mood.

penni said...

While I was growing up we always had bitches. When I became involved in showing and occasionally breeding, I had girls (you just borrow the boy as needed). Then the pick puppy in a litter was a really handsome male. I kept him and had never had as wonderful a house dog. He was sweet and responsive. So fast forward fifteen years -- my first Cardi was a boy -- a delight. I got him a girl Cardi who is sweet but independent. She watches me from the comfort of a dog bed. Chase has taken over the house. He takes care of me, works with me, tries so hard to please me. Yep! I love the boys.

Shep said...

*laughs* It's so funny, what we tend to lean towards, don't we?

I honestly have trained nothing but boys for SAR. Really, that ability to go with the flow, to just get on track and stay on track in a group of dogs and crazyness makes me happy.

Now, I will say flat out that my best obedience dog was my female Shepherd. Flat out. We were at a class one night where they were calling directions, and they said left - and I went right. She immediately reached up, grabbed the lead in her teeth, and snapped me around to the right, dropped it, smiled at me and continued. I got corrected from my DOG. Go figure. ;)

I loved her to death, but in a way, I enjoy being around the boys because I don't always have to be a step ahead and thinking, "okay, if she does this, what do I do for that?" She made me a better trainer, but the boys were better partners, if that makes any sense? I can trust the boys to quietly and doggedly work over and over at the same point, where my girl would sigh and try to outthink the situation quickly.

It's funny, my mare does the same thing. I love to ride her - she's got more smarts than my gelding, but man, if she's on a tear, look out, she'll just spectacularly lose her marbles and throw a tantrum. He just takes it in stride and calls it a day. ;)

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I agree...our male corgi is a pushover, holds back but is smart enough to do so with our bossy, little female. She runs the show, totally. It makes me frustrated that he's so easy going, he's a lover, and that is all. Surely, that's not a bad thing. But, the spirit, and chutzpuh in a female is something to be reckoned with!

Nicki said...

Boys! I recently swore I'd never have another female, and then along came Lyric. I wanted my next dog to be a male the last two times but Legend and Lyric were perfect in every other way, so I ended up with 2 females. In fact, "Legend" was a name I had picked for a boy and I had to come up with Lyric specifically for her because the name I wanted to use was not feminine enough!

Lynda said...

Gotta say I love my boy dogs. the girl dogs are too sucky, sneaky and bitchy.
I love my "boy" dogs attitude. I am treated like the goddess and they are always ready to go with me.
Boys are more forgiving, duke it out and it is done, the girls carry grudges.
Hey I raised 4 boys and love every moment of it.

Kim said...

I've had females all my life until getting involved in cardis. I wouldn't give my boys up for anything in the world. It's all about what makes Mom happy and waht makes Mom smile.

Yes, Casper assists in the morning pee every morning with his muzzle propped in the crook of my legs, looking at me with complete adoration. And the boys are so stinkin smart.

Sure I'm biased! I have Casper the white wonder dog!

onecollie said...

ok, boys ARE NOT pushovers or slower to learn!!! ALL my males have been super smart, my first collie Ben learned everything the first time I showed him....
I love my boy dogs...even if they stink!

oddman said...

Had a hard time figuring out if it was gender or breed-type differences - Andre is just SO different from my girls.

Coming 5 years old and just starting to settle down now.

Anyway, vive le difference!

Andi