Friday, January 04, 2008

the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

Yesterday I took Wicca and Boone to a local school field (shhhh....don't tell) and played ball. They were having a great time. We are working on Wicca's stay so she has to stay until it's her turn and is released- this is a great way to work on a solid stay- we did this all summer and it has made an improvement..Anyway- back to the story.

So Boone is doing great- LOVES the tennis ball and is goofy, growly and mouthy- it is very cute. And then a car went down the alley. Boone took off and wouldn't or couldn't listen to my calls. I released Wicca and she totally ran into him with such force they both fell. It was enough to break Boone's "spook" and he came back the second I called. I gave him lots of cookies and praise before putting him back on leash. He was freaked out after that and wouldn't play- kept pulling to leave but I made him deal with it.


Wicca and I played for about 15 minutes while Boone sat and shook. I put Wicca in a stay and started working with Boonie- sit,down,touch,sit, stand, etc. He came out of his spookiness and again played with the ball- Yay!!!


And then the sky almost fell...really. At the other end of the field two guys came out with a remote control plane. I knew it would be too much for Boone so started to leave. He heard the buzzing of the plane and was frozen- wouldn't budge, just stared at it- and pee'd on the spot. Poor Boone. And then it fell- about 20 feet from us, slammed into a snowbank- Wicca took off after it barking very ferociously- and then Boone got brave too! Walked up slowly- barking and woofing but totally okay.


So- I was proud of him that he "got over" his fear quickly. But it was pretty scary (for me) when he bolted. I have started a list of what is scary for Boone so I can keep track of what the triggers are.



  • sounds- loud, sudden or unusual

  • city bus- probably related to sounds

  • crossing the road- I know, weird.


1 comment:

Jules said...

Good for Boone and good girlie Wicca doing a job like that.

Scaredy dogs can be tough. Boone sounds like he is doing well with you - it is awesome that he was able to "come back."