Monday, January 14, 2008

The Saga continues


6 missed weave poles entries
1 pop out at the 10th pole
3 knocked bars
3 off courses
1 non sticking teeter contact
= no Q's for Wicca


Despite how badly the above list looks she actually ran very well. We had some really good control, great distance, and she didn't have any sort of meltdowns. I was pretty impressed with her mostly- the weave thing is getting pretty frustrating and I am going to hold off doing any more trialing until she is giving me at least 80% accuracy at home. The courses were very technical and required quite a bit of front crossing-which is fine, if I can get there. Her three off courses were the result of rear crosses that should have been fronts. There were some really great handling challenges (some of which i did really great with) and it was nice to have some different judges. The trial itself was really great- usually this trial goes until late at night (9:30 last year) but this year it was smaller and we were done at a decent time both days.

I am very happy about her three knocked poles. It used to be there would be three or more PER run...so she is most definitely improving. The teeter contact annoyed me as there was no reason for her not to stick it, so I made her go back and redo it.

Also- she has a new thing...well, maybe not new...but certainly it could escalate to become a new problem. She has a hydraulic butt on the table ;o) It gets higher and higher until the judge stops counting and we have to restart. So we will be working on her table in the next little while.

Her most outstanding run was first thing on Saturday. Only four other dogs in the whole masters class got the gamble. Wicca did it- but the whistle blew before she exited the tunnel.
It was tunnel, weave, flip out to a jump, and send back to a tunnel. She did perfectly and if we hadn't been so far away when the first whistle blew we would have had it. I was very proud of her as it was quite difficult. It was the only weave entry she got all weekend ;o)

I ran Kaleb and Q'd, which was nice. Made me feel like less of a failure :o) He is a pretty funny dog- he ran well for me but had a hard time concentrating on me because he was so busy looking for his Momma....

So Wicca gets the week off. We have our first Outreach Seminar with Kim Collins next weekend. I am pretty excited, but also kind of nervous. I have Vito entered in the puppy session, which should be fun, and then Wicca of course in the seminar. I have done a seminar with Kim before. She is a great instructor, and has some really neat ideas. We'll see how we do.

Oh- and the best news of the weekend- Boone did fine at Natalie's!!!!! He didn't bite her, ate all of his food, and was well behaved. He was stressed, but managed it just fine. This is a huge breakthrough for him and I am very proud of him. Vito got to play "dog show" and "pet shop" with Rayna and Jack. And Sam had a fun weekend at my parents. All in all a pretty good weekend...except the no Q thing....

1 comment:

Jules said...

Hooray! Sounds like you know what you want to work on. Good for Boone!