Saturday, November 20, 2010

untitled

I am feeling a little mixed about todays results.

On a whole I feel dissapointed by my dogs, and my training. It is hard not to feel this way when you know that you, and your dogs are capable of better. Broken apart it really was not all that bad.

Pixel was so stressed in the ring. I remember her in Rally for the first time and it was very similar. The good thing is that she seemed to get better each time- I am hoping this is the case in Obedience aswell. She did qualify the first trial though- barely (174.5) but she did all the exercises. We lost 20 points for on leash, and off leash heeling. Before the second trial I pumped her up and took her in the "scarey" corner and played with her new toy. She liked that and seemed much more "up." Her happiness lasted through the on leash heeling and then was gone. Her off lead heeling was non existant. We failed the trial. I know she is a soft, mushy little dog. She gets nervous in new places with new things. I expected too much of her I think. I thought our training would get us through. It is pointless to say but I just wish she had a bit more confidence. We are building it, but she is obviously not as ready as I had thought.

Wicca was very good. Her heeling was great, although a bit slow for her. She had great retrieves, her drop was perfect, and her finishes weren't too bad. She stayed for the first sit. I was SO happy for her. She appeared relaxed and okay. She sat up on the down before I was across the room. The second trial had a better opening (well, except for walking over the broadjump...), and a worse stay. She went down on the sit, (don't know when), and changed position like five times on the down. Sit, Down, a few steps, sit, down..and so on until I returned.

It is SOOOOO Frustrating. It seems like I've been beating my head against a wall for years. When I entered the trial I told myself that this what it if there was no improvement. We are missing something and I don't like to feel frustrated at her. But now I am so torn. There was  an improvement. She stayed on the sit. For three minutes. She has only ever done that once before. So yeah. I am so undecided about what to do.

Do I go tomorrow and try again? I hate being a quitter. But when is enough? I was thinking a lot about this when I got home. What kinds of things can I change or do better? More training obviously. I am completely self taught. There are no classes around here for Competition Obedience, I am it. I teach classes, and do "drop in" nights. On those nights I don't feel like working my own dogs. I would love for someone to just tell me what to do. I feel that if I want to continue with Obedience I nedd to do something different. To continue training as I am is not going to get me any farther. Obviously I am missing something. I have a few options.  move. (which is not going to happen), a seminar (which I am trying to plan and find someone) or just quit. Put obedience off to the side until I either move, or someone moves here.

How much do I love Obedience? A lot. Watching those Utility dogs makes me want it so bad. Wicca can do that stuff. We just need to get there. I loved Obedience before Agility. I love the training, I love the heeling, I love the structure and the rigidity. But as with anything related to dogs it is hard. It is not easy. It need commitment, training, and lots of time. How much of that do I really have?

To cheer myself up lets take a look at the good stuff. Broken apart my day wasn't so bad. In fact, there were some really great things.

Wicca held a 3 minute sit stat out of sight. That is incredible. I was so thrilled for her I was shaking.
Pixel held all four of her stays today. She was a little nervous about it but she did it.
Wicca had consistent heeling throughout both trials. She was with me the whole time.
Pixel wagged and was heeling happily in Trial #2 on the first heeling exercise.
Pixel did get a leg towards her CD...maybe in 10 years I'll forget the score...

So that's my day. I have a lot to think about. As of right now I am not entering Wicca tomorrow but will try Pixel again. Even as I type that I think it's a bad idea. lol. Maybe it should be the other way around. Might aswell put Wicca in- what do we have to lose? Pixel however could learn that the ring is a scary place if I put her in and she freaks out again.

Decisions, Decisions. I had hoped that by writing this blog it would help me to sort out my thoughts. Unfortunately it has not done that. Maybe I need a drink.

Oh and a huge congrats to Sarah on her CDX leg today with Kaleb! No barking in the stays, and was a happy boy. And to Jolene with Kort on their first leg. Kort is such a trooper! He has come such a long way.

6 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

I'm so sorry your day didn't go as planned. If you want that drink, call me! :)

penni said...

The Ann Marie Silverton videos are a huge help. I live in an area with lots of trainers and a huge club, but I still found the videos very useful for the kind of upbeat, fun training methods that I like.

That said, sometimes the dogs just decide they are ready to do it right -- and they do. That day is so huge. I hope it comes soon for you with one of the girls.

Silk said...

I have found that dogs teach us patience, I have a rescue Australian Cattle dog, who had 5 homes before we got him at 18 months old. I started him in Agility as soon as we had bonded, that was 18 months ago.. and we are still struggling, he can do everything, but he is so stubborn, that he does things his way.. as i struggle with him in class, I keep repeating to myself, 'patience, patience'.. and then in class today, he did a whole set of weaves on his own with me 5 feet away..that little bit of magic made me smile, and was a great way to end the day...so remember 'patience and more patience'... one day things will click..

oddman said...

My main thoughts here about your 'troubles' are - they are both doing amazingly well, for the little time you spend at competition obedience. Consider what you have and what you spend the most time on... agility! And how good are they there? Awesome. Focus on what was right - they'll get there. Don't give it up if you love it... those utility teams spend the same amt of time working their drills as you do working your agility drills.

Keep positive!

Andi

manymuddypaws said...

Thanks.

Andrea you are totally right and that's what is so frustrating. I want to do the work for obedience and I just can't do it myself anymore.

You make a good point about the dogs only doing aswell as they can with the limited training they've had. I really have not spent the time to be able to expect them to give me more.

I am going to go tomorrow with both girls and play it by ear. Am going super early and will find an empty conformation ring to play with pixel in. Wicca is going to go in cold turkey. She is how she is at this point. I do think that I can help pixel get over her nerves. It just may take some creativity.

Thanks again for the advice and thoughts. After spending he evening cuddling with the dogs i do feel better :) I have good dogs.

Dawn said...

You have very good dogs. Hope it goes well today.