Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Dream Dog

When I was 13 I dreamed of owning a large male shepherd- mostly black with rich red markings. Perfectly well behaved and a Utility Dog to boot. I also dreamed of one day owning a border collie (red and white of course) Funny how things change over the years.

My first dog I ever did anything with was Tina- a shepherd cross. We did lots, and lots of obedience. Even though she wasn't purebred I trained that dog to a CDX. We took the funmatches by storm in my area. She really started my obsession. I started Agility with her way back when you only needed one Q to move up to the next level!

I purchased Indy- a dark female shepherd, out of the paper when I was 15 (1997ish). I desperately wanted a purebred dog to compete with- Tina was getting older and I wanted a dog that wasn't as limited. I saved all my pennies for that dog- babysitting, grooming, etc- every dime went into the purchase of that dog. And then at 7 months she was gone. Hip Displasia. I was 16 years old and had her euthanised because I couldn't afford to fix her. Her displasia wasn't a mild case either- she couldn't get up by herself, couldn't run, couldn't act like a puppy anymore. It was pretty awful.

You'd think that I would have learned my lesson about backyard breeders. but no. I demanded my money back from the breeders of Indy- in writing I had a guarantee. They refused but offered me a puppy out of a friends litter. I was a sucker.

I picked Kate out of the litter- she was the exact opposite of Indy- light in color, light eyes, a shy, timid little thing. Kate physically was alright. Mentally was another story. That dog taught me SO much about dog training and life. She was a handful almost right off the bat- high strung and nervous. At 6 months old her temperament went from okay to bad. Really bad. I know more about fear aggression than I ever thought I would. Despite her downfalls I love her. She is 100% devoted to me, and tries very hard to do what I want. I trialed her in Obedience and Agility for five years- and we did pretty good. She got her CD with a High in Class, and we had fun in agility.

I vowed that my next dog would have a sound mind and body. I was on a list for a shepherd pup- this time from a reputable breeder...the litter didn't take and I again was desperate for a pup.....

I never pictured my next agility dog to have such short legs- in fact I had never seen a cardigan in agility ever but when Wicca's breeder called me and said she had just the dog for me I couldn't resist going out to meet her...

I have fallen in love with this breed. I am forever looking at wesbites. I am addicted to pedigrees, blogs about cardis, forums and just general information. I will always have one (or more) Cardigans around. I have even chosen the kennel where I'd like to get my next Cardi from. I love their cheerfulness, the drive, the stubborness, everything about them. But it most definitely was not the dog I pictured way back when!

What was your "dream dog" when you were a kid?

11 comments:

Sarah said...

cool post, read my blog, i'll write about it!!!!!

Sarah said...

P.S.

why do you still kid yourself, you were never getting another Shepherd, or a Pointer which for some reason you wanted too LOL

Anonymous said...

We had German Shepherds when we were growing up so they were always my ideal breed. I still have my girl, Zoe going strong at 8 and a half despite being a sickly runt when we found each other.

Jules said...

Growing up I always had shepherds and shepherd/lab mixes, so I would have to say German Shepherd.

Now that I have a Cardigan I also can't imagine my life without one. I am *thinking* I will rotate between my two breeds (MS and CWC), but who knows what the future really holds.

Katrin said...

The dog I always wanted as a kid was a working BC (was before you could AKC reg them anyway, so they were mostly ALL working BCs) to do agility and obedience with.

But my parents insisted we had to rescue, so my 1st dog was a retriever x husky puppy, who ended up very agressive and I had to have euthanised at age 2.

He sorted of looked like a flat coat, though temperamentally nothing like, so when looking for my next I looked in the flat coats and fell in love. They are my breed. I'll alwys have at least one, probably more.

And then through various agility people, and my good friend's dog, I fell in love with corgis, especially the cardis. I know I'll always have 1 cardi around. I tell Monty his only job is to live to 15. LOL (the flat coats tend not to live so long due to cancer)

Dawn said...

Actually my boy, Magic is my dream dog personified. I waited over 30 years, but he is so worth the wait!

the Corgi Girls said...

I didn't even know about Cardis when I was a kid... let alone any Corgis... I was a malamute person... then a great dane person... then maybe even a mastiff person... but now... all cardi all the time! We've picked out certain kennels where we would get our next pup from as well... lol! It's an addiction, really!

Nicki said...

A Golden Retriever-every night I fell asleep looking at a picture of one. My parents eventually caved on the dog thing and got a yellow lab b/c they couldn't find a golden (which seems hard to imagine but this was more than 20 years ago). I was about 7 or 8 and didn't realize there was much of a difference between the two. I never did get a Golden but still admire some of the better bred ones. Don't know if I will ever have one but anything can happen!

Diamond Girl said...

I wasn't allowed to have a dog when I was a kid. Got my first dog at 21 - a sheltie (who died of pancreatitis at 1 and 1/2.) My dream dog was always a mostly white Borzoi. I wanted a dog I could pet on the head while walking her. I got my dream dog and it wasn't the dream I imagined. She was loyal but not affectionate - more like having a cat around. Now I dream about Standard Poodles, Golden Retrievers, Border Collies and Aussies.

onecollie said...

I know I'm behind in my comments, I have a small furry excuse!!.....but I loved your post, & for the record, waaaaayyy back when I was young, I still wanted a collie. I made my mom buy me a sticker book when I was 6 as it had a collie on the cover....still have the book!

dreameyce said...

I too dreamed of a big GSD, mostly black... I looooove sables. I've always had a thing for Cardis though (I don't like tailless dogs), and when I met my first Cardis at 15, was hooked for life!

I've also always loved Mastiff breeds, from Staffy Bulls, to Neos. I'm sure someday I'll own a 200 pound drooler ;0P (When I'm ready to 'ask for vet bills')

Right now we have the 2 Cardis, and a goofy German Shepherd/Aussie/'whatever' mix. I'm already dreaming about my next show Cardi, after Galaxy is finished and we have more time/money.

I wish there was a breed with the Cardi disposition that had legs... but in reality, the legs are what makes the Cardi a Cardi!