Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Success

Last night as planned I took Wicca and Boone to the barn. I worked Wicca in the first set- practiced front crossing while she is in the weaves, our "go on" (I never really taught this on a cue- she just drives ahead but to prevent curling and confusion I am teaching her what the verbal means) and startlines. I have struggled with FC in front of weaves as she will sometime pop out when she loses her concentration- last night she had no problems at all! We worked huge distance with them as well and I am happy to report she didn't miss one entry.

I used Boone for the rest of the night and I am so proud of him! After his meltdown a few weeks ago I have worked hard with him teaching him it is okay to be wrong and to try again. Last night we had no issues at all- even when I made him retry a few times!

We have been working on 2on2off at home with my plank- using a target and teaching the "happiest place" game. He LOVES the contact board now as it means lots of food. He is learning that I want him to have two feet on the board and a nose touch to the target. We just recently switched to a clear target and this is causing a little bit of problems as he isn't Looking for it very hard and is targeting the floor instead. Anyway- last night we backchained on the a-frame and he did great! I am making a concious effort to reward with his head low and close to the target. He is beginning to understand and will catch on quick from here I think.

I was paired with some young/more novice dogs last night so we worked on finding a line and teaching "go on" I used Boone for this as well- he has pretty good jump commitment but is reluctant to move ahead- he will move away if I ask him- but likes to stay close to where the cookies come from! He loves his goodie container and will follow that thing anywhere- so a few times I threw it and other times I had a helper surprise him at the end. We did a 7 jump sequence and he was flying! I was so happy with him- he worked very hard and did great last night!

Yay for Boonie!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Yay for Boone! that is great news. It sounds like he is really coming along for you.

yay, Wicca, too!