Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lost Q's and Relationship problems

Sarah discovered that there are some Q's missing on Wicca's AAC Stats page- and as of yet I haven't been able to track them down. Somewhere along the line I have lost two Advanced Standard Q's and and a Masters Gamblers Q....I am not sure where to look for them so will go back through all last years trial results and see what I can find.....
On another note Wicca and I have a problem. The problem being that she doesn't like me much.

There, I said it.
Wicca has always been the kind of dog that likes to do her own thing- never cuddly or overly affectionate. On her own terms yes, she will come up for a quick kiss and be on her way. I have come to understand and even appreciate her independance but- there has to be a line somewhere and unfortunately I think we crossed that line a long while ago. Wicca doesn't come to me for anything- ever. She won't come to me because I asked her- after I have called her she will sit and decide if it is worth it to her or if she thinks I am mad at her enough to go and physically get her.

I made a lot of mistakes with Wicca when she was younger- I put too much pressure on her - I had a young pup who would do anything I asked her- the teenage stage hit and suddenly she didn't want to do any of that anymore- so I made her. And when I couldn't make her she didn't get to play. I created a dog that when she hears me call her will either a) check out her options- do I have a cookie, a toy or agility equipment b) run away or c) slink to me with her tail tucked.
Nice Eh?

So the plan of action; work on improving our relationship. I have to change my mind set and not be so stubborn about things, and she has to learn that I am fun. The hard part is that Wicca has to think it was her idea. This dog is amazingly smart- but as I have learned cannot be pushed to do anything. I have actually gone through something similar to this with her already. Again- I had a dog who loved to heel, I moved through the steps too fast and soon had a dog who had no interest in heeling. I painstakingly started again from scratch- this time without skipping steps or pushing too hard. You'd think I'd learn!!!


No comments: