Thursday, February 14, 2008

Headgear

So a few of you were wondering what Boone's fancy gentle leader looked like- this morning he graciously modelled for me ;o)


Last night at Rally practice he wore it for the first time in public and did great with it! He has worn it quite a lot in the past few days so is used to how it feels now.


Boone is a great candidate for the Gentle Leader as he tends to gawk around alot, and when he gets to the point where he stops listening I have a hard time reconnecting with him. The Gentle Leader will allow me to gently take control of him and make him look at me. Kim Collins had a really great message about them and although I (like many others) previously didn't hold much regard for head halters it really make sense. Kim believes that head halters are better than nagging at your dog all the time, are a great control device, and teaches your dog work ethic- as when the halter is on, you are working. I was skeptical, after all I tried it with Kate with little success, but when I got home from the first seminar I started doing more research into it and decided to give it a shot. And of course I couldn't have just any only GL- it had to be a pretty one....(we have the far left one...the other two were a litte girlie I thought)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

p.s. the one you have is a LITTLE girlie too, but it suits boone for some reason ...

Jules said...

I used a GL on Ike for mutliple years and found it to be INCREDIBLY helpful. Boone doesn't look like he minds it at all!

Kim said...

I didn't know that the GL came in such cool patterns. The one you picked for Boone looks so great with his colouring - good choice.

Anonymous said...

A head halter?! Amanda! I'm shocked, tee hee....

Jennifer said...

Wow, I didn't know they made PRETTY GL! Years ago I used one with my Dobe when she was young and full of herself and I loved it (we eventually worked all the way back to a plain buckle colar); wish I could have found a pretty one for her. Also about the sky falling. I know that Boone has a history, but sometimes I think it may have some to do with the personality they're born with, just like people. Some people get really flustered when they make a mistake; my dad's older, retired dog Bobbie is that way, although not to the extent you described wtih Boone. It's funny, because in general she doesn't seem like a soft dog, but she can't stand to make a mistake. . .