Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Second Place

As with the rest of you I watched Olympics pretty well every day. I even watched most of the hockey game...and well, I'm not a hockey kind of girl...

I saw this photo today and had to laugh...


photo by: Robert Gauthier (Los Angeles Times)

Don't they look thrilled with being in second place out of the rest of the world? Seriously. I missed the end of the game and watched a bit of the replay. I assumed that they'd be upset to lose, but a happy face during the medals would have been nice...

Second is better than not placing at all! And at least in the US they won't be forced to quit the team because of it (like the Russian Athletes)

I know that I was THRILLED with my second place at Nationals last year. Second is pretty darn amazing!

6 comments:

Taryn said...

I watched none of the Olympics. It's hard to find TV time and I am not much for sports (other than agility of course !) so I hadn't seen this photo. The American team certainly do look like a bunch of poor sports with such sour expressions! Second place in the Olympics is a HUGE honor and achievement. You would think there would be a few smiles.....

miradukesadie said...

Hockey is a different breed of sports. Especially Olympic hockey and especially USA vs Canada game. It's win or lose, and they lost, regardless of what place that puts them in. It may not be right, but that's how it is.

Dawn said...

Remember all of these teams are pro players who do this for a living. This was done at themedal ceremony which was about 10 minutes after the game, so they were just off the ice having lost. Not defending them, I would have been thrilled, but then I dont do it for a living either. I know that although I am always happy with a 2nd place or a Q right away I am always reliving what could I have done better....maybe they are too?

Taryn said...

I didn't realize these were Pro players. I thought all Olympic athletes were amateurs, i.e., couldn't be paid for their sport and still compete in the Olympics. I guess it is different for a sport like hockey, which would make sense. Still would have like to see some smiles, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

MurphyDog said...

Mom said they were sore losers. 2nd in the entire world should still be something to be proud of! Its too bad most organized sports don't teach good sportsmanship!

Even though we live here in the states, Mom and I were happy about the Canadian's win. Its always nice to win on home turf, in front of your family!

wags, wiggles & slobbers
Murphydog

Unknown said...

As others have said, this was right after a game in which they lost.... one that they tied up to force an overtime and had a legitimate shot at winning until that sudden death goal by Crosby sealed it for Canada. So I can understand their frustration at the loss but during medal ceremony a little show of sportsmanship and a smile would have gone a long way in the eyes of the rest of the world.