Thursday, March 25, 2010

Get off the Fence



I won't get into the debate here, but seriously I cannot stand Cesar Milan. In my opinion he is a bully with too much power and his own damn tv show. He is an awful dog trainer and is showing the world how to be unfair to their dogs. The above video was posted to a facebook group and I posted it here only because I think his reply was interesting when confronted about what the Humane Society said about him.

I think that more and more people are starting to see now what it is that he is really doing. The horrified looks on the owners faces as he strings their dog up until it's gasping for breath really just tells the story doesn't it? I just wish that the people who still follow him, or don't see anything wrong with him would open their eyes. It really annoys me that people are on the fence about this. If you like the guy so much let him have an hour alone with your dog....

7 comments:

Taryn said...

I totally agree with you! Can't stand the man and what he teaches.

Natasha said...

I agree. Although some of the things he says have reason, it makes me wince to watch him apply his over-the-top physical corrections to a stressing dog. I would never hand my dogs over to him.

Lynda said...

OMG, that poor dog was so scared he froze!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's more than bad.

BCxFour said...

I met this guy at the Seattle Winterfest last year (right before KOMO did this story). What struck me was how really short he was..I wanted to smack him on his arrogant sweaty little head.

The only thing he says that I agree with is "exercise, discipline, then affection". That is accurate - however his means of achieving discipline - well they are moronic in so many ways.

I had an potential adopter come and meet one of our fosters. He brought his current dog with him. While we were on a walk he kept kicking his dog - whenever she would pull on the leash. I asked him what he was doing - because it stunned me me would haul off and kick her like that - literally taking her off her feet. He told me she had some 'behavioral' issues and he was using the Cesar way of training. Grrrrrrr...I wanted to kick him!
Needless to say, he didnt get to adopt my foster. No way in hell. I also gave him a big piece of my mind (in a kind and gentle fashion).

Many of cesar's techniques remind me of the Monks of New Skeet. Barbaric and ineffective.

Loretta Mueller said...

I think with ANY technique, if in the hands of idiots (which BCx4 I would classify your description of this person as definetly such) bad things can happen.

Even with people that don't correct their dogs (yes going from one extreme to another)I have seen many cases of what I would call mental abuse. Confusion, stress, anxiety etc etc. Just as bad as physical abuse...

I don't hate CM, but I also don't "follow" him blindly (well if you knew me I don't follow ANYONE like that! LOL). To follow someone blindly is asking for trouble. I take what I can from each method and if I feel it will work for my dog, I will use it.

My dogs WILL get corrected as harsh as is needed for two things in life: #1 aggression and #2 lack of recall (once taught WHAT a recall is). Both instances will save their lives.

There IS a middle ground...extremists are, well, extreme.

Raising Addie said...

Hallelujah!

We can't stand this guy and are so tired of all the blog posts that we find about people that just love him. Thank you very much for your honesty!


Chasing my tale...
Addie, Lucie and Hailey