Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Great Target Debate

There was an article in last months Clean Run- or maybe it was the month before...anyway- it was really great and talked about the different methods, and mostly talked about to food, or not to food on the target. It's a hot topic these days!

Targeting is a useful way to teach your dog an end behavior on the contact equipment. A Target is generally a clear plastic lid type thing. I use Pringles lids- they are perfect. There are LOTS of different methods to targeting. As with all things agility related one method doesn't work for all dogs and all people. There is no right or wrong way- it's just different. :o)

CAMP A- common/well known

Dog is taught to nose touch target away from equipment
Dog is taught to nose touch to earn a reward (no food on target)
Dog is taught to repeatedly nose touch to earn single reward
Dog is taught on "plank" or "travel board" to pounce off of board and repeatedly nose touch
Target is faded away.
Dog is backchained on full size equipment
Target is never placed on full size equipment.

CAMP AMANDA

Dog is taught to nose touch target away from equipment
Dog is taught to nose touch to earn a reward (no food on target)
Dog is backchained on full size equipment (with target still visible)
Target is faded away
Target is brought back through out training to reinforce/motivate/remind dog to drive to position
Occasionally the target is baited.

Yes, you read correctly. I do food bait targets. Wicca was taught using the CAMP AMANDA method- her contacts are fast, and for the most part very accurate. She never misses a contact, although sometimes leaves before being released (which is a whole other issue entirely) However- she comes down the contact with her head up- which is caused by the target position not being valuable enough (nose down) and my lack of consitency in WHERE I reward. (head up, head down, between the feet, off the side, etc)

Pixel is being taught mostly with CAMP A. She has the travel plank down pat, and understands targeting behavior. I am now shifting gears slightly towards CAMP AMANDA. I will be backchaining her contacts with the target in place. I also am not asking for repeated nose touches. And one day, if I feel that she needs a bit more "oomph" I will put out a baited target. Only time will tell I suppose!

I think as long as you are consistent, and the dog understands their job in the end there is no right, or wrong way. It is all in what you expect for contacts, and if you are happy with the end results. I am not *quite* happy with Wicca's contacts- hence the change for Pixel. We'll see what the results are!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

oooh looks like I struck a nerve LOL ... you'll have to read the post I am in the midst of writing ....

so it IS true "What would Amanda do?!" I'm making you a shirt.

you need to add to Camp Amanda ... to let Pixel run the contacts a bit with no end behaviour (stop her before the end etc) like you have been to get that speed up too.

I heard you get bossed around at "Camp Amanda" is that true :)

manymuddypaws said...

oh, and i only let Pixel run it the one day. just to make myself feel better! :o)

and yes, at CAMP AMANDA we are a bit bossy ;)

Diana said...

I use target to start my dogs off in agility. all equipment is started with targets. ( but no nose touches) Diana