Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Good Boy Boonie

Last night I left Wicca at home and just took Boone to train at the arena.

I had a few general goals-
  • no barking while other dogs were running
  • focus and attention even when excited
  • not taking equipment if not asked
and then there were the actual training goals of
  • 270's
  • a-frame at full height
  • weaves
  • start lines

I was very proud of him last night- during the first class where he actually got to train I kept him in a down stay when it wasn't his turn- there was no barking. I rewarded him for being calm, and staying. No spinning and panting. We warmed up with some heeling/running past equipment before each turn- he still will run out and try and take stuff, but will come when I call him- which is a pretty major thing for him. He finds agility highly rewarding without me :o)

Our first exercise looked kinda like this with a curved tunnel on one side. I worked just the circle of jumps with Boone- and then worked on decceleration with him- he doesn't really pick that up very well so we spent quite a lot of time on it. We also worked front and rear crosses. It's pretty amazing what you can do with four jumps!

[

--- ---

[

Then we worked on weaves and wow! is all I can say. I haven't done any weaving at home lately but he was a weaving machine- he had some great entrances and I even managed a front cross after the poles! On this station we worked on 270's as well.

The last station we worked on the a-frame. Backchaining, Backchaining, and Backchaining some more. I had it at full height with a small target plate mostly hidden by dirt. I would say we were 90% successful. The height of the frame is making him rock back to be able to get into position and not bounce off. After about 10 reps building up from a foot from the bottom to a foot from the top I ended on a tunnel, frame, tunnel, frame sequence where he stuck his contact both times.

He is really improving a lot and I notice changes every time we train. I entered him in almost a full trial for January. We have lots of training to do before then but with consistent work I think he'll be ready.

No comments: