Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A difference...

Monday night I took Boone out to the field to train a bit before classes started. He was a mess. I was so frustrated I couldn't even post about it. I could not figure it out for the life of me why he was so freaked out. I went over and over my list of "triggers" and couldn't find anything that was different from any other night. It dawned on me yesterday what it was. The Rain. Yup. It did not even occur to me that Boone might have an issue with rain. It only rained for like 4 minutes and it was a spattering, not a downpour. Regardless it totally threw him and I could not get him to even look in my direction. I eventually gave in and put him in the car.

So last night I was determined to make sure that he snapped out of his little funk. I didn't feed him at all- and brought out the "big guns"- his goodie container filled with hotdog...

I had to work hard to get him up but once he was there he did great!!!! He loves to chase the goodies, and will wait expectantly at the container for me to get there to open it. So we played some chase games- sit, throw the goodies. nose touch- throw the goodies. tunnel- throw the goodies. Sarah helped me to find the exact time- 2 minutes- before he reaches his max. I put him away and brought Wicca out. After about 10 minutes Boone was beside himself and really wanted to come out. I teased him with the container and off we went- he weaved 12 poles beautifully! They first time he popped the last 2 poles, I resent him and he was great! I was so happy with him. I brought him out a total of four times- each time working on something different- contacts, table and jumping.

I really need to be careful with him- and take in everything that is around him. I can't believe how frustrated I was yesterday. He had been doing so well, I was upset that there was yet another "thing" that I couldn't figure out. Of course once I sat down and went through everything I came up with the solution.

I have even come up with a game plan to help him get over his rain thing. I will start him in the place he feels most comfortable, (my yard) feeding him outside in the rain, playing in the rain, walking in the rain....and then work up to at the daycare in the outside area, and then out to the field. I don't think it is something that will bother him forever and I am sure that he will get over it.

Wicca did great last night- we ran the course we set for class and it felt good and looked good. We had two bars, but no off courses and my handling was pretty decent. Her weaves were flawless and I really pushed her through them. I am feeling pretty good about us lately!

2 comments:

onecollie said...

Poor Boone!.....you sure have patience Amanda!& a gift for training that's for sure!

Jules said...

Wow. Do you think it is the sound or a combination of things? Good luck. It sounds like you are doing such a good job with him!