Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sheep!

Wicca loves sheep!
This weekend we got to play with sheep for the first time and it was amazing. She has never seen sheep before so I wasn't sure how she would be- but she caught on right away...She got so excited watching the first dog that by the time it was her turn she was frantic.
Her first go round was alot of chasing! She was thrilled that she could move all those sheep by herself. I have worked on directions and her lie down in preparation but that went out the window- and I resorted to telling her to "get out" (something she knows from agility) and being really firm on her lie down. By the end of her turn she was starting to gather the sheep and respond a bit better to me.
Her second go round was alot more controlled and I was able to direct her fairly well since I was finally understanding where I need to be and where the dog should be in relation to the sheep. We had her bringing the sheep to me- walk up/lie down, walk up/lie down. She was a bit stubborn and her lie down wasn't as solid as I had thought!!!!
Her third time was amazing. She was really keyed on the job and was going around them like a pro. We didn't use the border collie at all and she was even able to get them out of the corner...She and I had a blast and it was really neat to see the instinct come out like that...So needless to say I am hooked.....

No comments: