Sunday, June 24, 2012

Practice Makes Better....

For the past few months I've been trying off and on to get some good "herding action" photos. I've seen some pretty incredible photos, but have yet to figure out how people work the dog, watch the sheep, and get photos. But I still try now and again.

This morning Brit and I went out to AltaPete early- I wanted to be able to take my time and not rush. The sheep were very difficult last time Sarah and I went- it was impossible for us to keep the sheep from running back to the barn. With no gates and a huge field it is a little above our skill level. lol. (and by our, I mean the people not the dogs. lol)

So this morning I worked the sorted sheep in the round pen a few times before taking them to the field. This gave them a chance to settle a bit. And then all the way to the field I kept in front of them and Brit hot on their heels. It worked well and we didn't have one run back to the barn!

We worked on driving- and our outruns. She still struggles with staying out long enough. We worked mostly on our come bye side as that is the weaker side for sure. I stepped in each time, and threatened her with my stick until she would bend out more. She was starting to get it near the end. It was a good session with lots of work- her favorite part is the driving. She really settles in now.  That's how I got the below photo! Probably my best actual herding photo to date!

Style.


Walk Up.
Steady.
Driving the Ewes and Lambs to the small pasture for sorting.
Outrun. On Balance Even!
I'm not sure. lol.
Settle.
I probably won't get out again until next weekend. I really need to spend a day at home and clean, and sort, and throw crap out. So that's what I'll be doing on Wednesday this week. I'm sure I'll be thinking about sheep though. lol.

4 comments:

Jen said...

You got some great pictures! I do love the Border Collie "herding stalk".

Crazy4CattleDogs said...

Lovely pictures (;

Paws on the Run said...

See now these are good herding pics!

Unknown said...

Wow, that was really great adventure! I'm sure that you really enjoy it.


Puppy Bond | Paw Planet