Thursday, February 09, 2012

The Gimpy Dog Club

When my dog Sam started limping, and had to have test, after test, and 2nd, and 3rd opinions for a diagnosis I started doing fundraising. Sarah designed me this logo and I made a cafe press site with tshirts, bags, etc. And used the design for labels for some home made leashes and tugs. It didn't really make much money, but it kept me busy and helped to keep my mind off things. Yesterday I was joking with Sarah that maybe instead of one Gimpy dog, I should have a club...

Pixel started limping on Sunday. A prominent limp in her front right leg. I had a bit of a freak out, and then did the rational thing-  decided to make my dogs live in a bubble,  I mean, gave her some Traumeel and called Sarah. 

On Sarahs advice I also iced it off and on for a few days. There was swelling on the pastern, and she was definitely tender. She's been super restricted activity wise. Carried down the stairs outside (which I can assure you she hates) and there has been a no fun allowed rule reinstated in the house. 

Yesterday she was almost normal, just a little misstep every once in a while. I had Sarah look at her to see if she could feel anything weird- and while she did find a little lump under the skin (feels like a spear grass?), the swelling is minimal and I think she is on the mend. I am going to soak her foot to see if I can get anything to come out but it really does feel quite under the skin, not just on the surface. 

I suspect that she either bashed it on a scent hurdle jump (although I rewatched the video and didn't see anything...), or maybe she tripped up the stairs, or banged it banking off the cupboard to get outside. It was likely just very bruised and sore. She is a bit of a klutz so who knows. I am thankful that she seems to be much better already. 

On another note Wicca's blood test results came back and all looks okay. There were a few minor things that we are going to keep an out for. Her kidney levels (can't remember what they are called) were a bit high, but that could be just from being a bit dehydrated the day of the blood test. Also her liver level was high- but not high enough to worry about. And her Red Blood Cell count was also high.  The vet suggested retesting her blood in two months and see if things have changed any. Also, I need to take her back in next week to get a new sample from the little lump on her leg. The sample she took didn't have anything in it. So we want to be sure that she just didn't get a bad sample. 

Wicca is feeling pretty good though, and we are up to an hour walk on flat pathways. Off Leash. So there has been some progress and she is not so stir crazy. She still gets very upset if I leave the house with another dog though. To help with my guilt I've been giving her extra chews and such...but I noticed this morning she looked a little thicker so I will have to cut back her food/treats a bit more...

And that's pretty much most of the drama from the week. The other dogs are awesome. Which reminds me, I need to do a blog post for Scamp. He is doing great. 

7 comments:

Jules said...

Being part of the Gimpy Dog Club sucks. I hope Pixel is on the mend!!

Karen said...

Glad it sounds like your dogs are working their way to being non-members.
I have one that is requesting a membership though:(

Taryn said...

Wilson unfortunately qualifies for the club too! I sure wish he didn't....

Unfortunately, it seems like lots of Cardigans are just one or two mis-steps from joining :-(

onecollie said...

poor Pixely :(

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I would love to have a tshirt like that and wear it! I'm the gimpy one in our family, but our twelve year old male corgi Jake has his days as well! Wicca and Pixel keep you on your toes. You're remarkable with these dog kids..they're lucky to have you as their mom.

Mary Lou said...

Wow, Amanda.... I am glad to read that Wicca is recovering.... Keep us updated on her test results, OK? ;-}
And.... Get better beautiful blue-eyed Pixel!! ;op
The Gimpy Dog Club.... I like that!! It sounds so catchy!! ;)

Kiwi's Diane said...

Hey, Amanda. Kiwi and I should join the Gimpy Dog Club. The girl fell off the dogwalk at full height in training Friday morning. We're off to the vet for chiro and laser treatements on Tuesday.