Thursday, February 23, 2012

Brit in Training

Just a quick update about Brit and her training in various things. This is more for me to be able to look back and see where we are/were at our training.

Scenthurdle
She LOVES this game. She has the jumping down pat, and the fetching. She is speedy, and really pulls for her turn. She is fast on the box, and is very confident in her job. Now the discrimination is what we are focusing on- she doesn't always think carefully at the box so we've been doing lots of box work. She is getting it though, and I suspect she will be racing on our second team by the summer.

Obedience/Rally
She is so fun to train. We've straightened out (literally) her heeling, and we've made a lot of progress in the past few months. She has the best "front" of any dog I've ever trained. Her sit, down and stand are pretty solid, and she has great finishes. Often she is a little too eager in her finishes and is a bit out of position. Her stand for exam is pretty great, and I've been working on lots of right turns, and big loopy circles.  We've been doing lots of work against fences, and walls to encourage her being straight. I've just started pairing rally signs together and we actually did a pretty tough course last week. She has some work to do on duration but I am pretty pleased!!

Sheepherding
I blog about every lesson because there is so much to learn and absorb. She has taught me so much, and I am completely addicted to it. We are very very novice still, but we are novice together at least. :) I filled out my first ever Herding trial entry form. It was pretty exciting. The trials are in June- and I entered all four. I am super nervous and it is still months away. She is a natural though, and as long as I can keep my head we will do just fine. She has the skill. Mostly. lol

Agility
I have not done much at all. She has the ground work, and the mechanics for contacts, and handling. She can front and rear cross, understands a serp cue, and a threadle. But doesn't have the actual training on equipment. She is still at the backchaining on contacts, and jumping 16". She can weave, sort of, not really. And I have a list a mile long of things she still needs to learn. First on the list is jump work.

Despite this list I do not spend all that much time actually training with her. Mostly we play and train little bits here and there. I am really enjoying her. She is so sweet, and happy, and eager to do whatever I ask her. I really love that about her. I am in no hurry with her in any venue- we'll get there when we get there. I think Rally will be her first actual ring experience of any sort. But time will tell!

2 comments:

Dachshund Nola said...

Wow you've done a lot with her! Great job, keep up the good work!
Dachshund Nola

Heather (jerZgirl) said...

I love your blog and your do - it - all dogs!