Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Year of New

I've decided that this year is going to be all about "New." Trying new things, going new places, doing things differently. I am very resistant to change, one of my least favorite qualities. lol. So in theory I am opening myself up for change for a whole year....It should be interesting. lol.

My first new thing this year is Tracking. My friend Jolene (OneCollie) went out on Sunday for the first time, and then I took Wicca out again today.

Tracking has always been one of those things that sounds fun, and then you just never really make time to try it. I've been a track layer before, so have seen Tracking Tests, and years and years ago I did go to a Tracking seminar. But beyond that I've not really been around it much. With Wicca's retirement from strenuous activities I thought that Tracking might be something we could do together. Something to keep her brain busy.

To be honest, I do find tracking boring. But I remember feeling that same way about Sheep before I had a dog that liked it. So maybe my mindset will change. I am willing to try though. Wicca needs something to do. I don't need a depressed Wicca at home.

Because I am super new to this, I am relying on Jolene to keep me straight. She has trained lots of tracking, and is friends with a super duper tracking person. At this point I am okay doing the baby tracks on my own. I mean, how much could I screw her up...lol

Sunday, Jan 1st. w/Jolene & Kort
First Time Out: 3 straight tracks. Short, Medium, and Medium Long. lol. Hotdogs in each step. Glove at the end loaded with food.
Wicca did great, and was already pulling into the harness by the third track. She is VERY into food. It's interesting to watch her body language in the video- it is very similiar to "critter mode."

Monday, Jan 2nd
2 Straight Tracks. Medium and Long. (I will have to be better about counting my steps.) Glove at the end loaded with food, and a jackpot in the middle of the longer track. Food in every step of the medium track, every second step in the longer track.  She was VERY excited. Nose to the ground before we even got to the scent pad.

I went out today and bought a new harness, and a long line. The harness I used the first day (in the video) was Sam's and it made me sad to see it on her. (weird how we attach such emotion to an item...) So I bought her a pink camoflauge one today. It suits her and has a padded front. I think it will work okay. Jo can take a look and let me know next time we go out together.

I am hoping that having spent $50 on tracking stuff will keep me motivated to stay at it.

Here is the video of our first time out- This is just the first track, and the third one. I cut out the middle one because it was just like the other two...I'll try not to bore you all with it. lol



4 comments:

Amanda said...

I'd love to learn how to teach Izzie to track (she's the Pug that does everything you know...) though our plates are full right now i think. Maybe we'll try it eventually!

Glad you found something for Wicca to do. I imagine a bored corgi can be lots of trouble lol. She looks like she's having lots of fun too!

Taryn said...

I would love to hear about your foray into tracking! Jimmy is a natural tracker and has hunted down John for me on several occasions :-), finding him in a neighbor's house. He even found Wilson for me one night when Wilson ran off after a fox. I would love to know more about training the sport.

lhd said...

I started tracking with my corgi, but it's been put on hold now that she has EPI. She was fantastic at it, so it was a shame we had to stop! (Her auntie just got her VST, so we had high hopes for another tracking dog "in the family")

Corgis are usually great tracking dogs, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Nicki said...

I think tracking is cool but I'm too lazy. If someone else would lay the tracks for me I'd be all for it!