Monday, September 12, 2011

Kimberley Details

What a weekend we had! As always the trial site was breathtaking. I will do a picture post later today or tomorrow- but believe me when I say it is beautiful. Camping in my van was actually pretty awesome! The dogs and I were pretty comfy, and it was nice not to have to drive to town to a  hotel. The dogs were able to run off leash on the property so it was nice to just hang out.

I think the "hanging" out part of this trial is what makes it so good. I mean, there is a social aspect to every trial but this one is just a bit more relaxed. Sittin' around enjoying each others company, talking dogs, walks with friends. It's all just part of the fun. :)

On to the actual agility news.

Wicca finally did it. We earned that last Q needed for our ATCH. It was on a tough Jumpers course. We had a few almost moments, but I managed to pull it together and reign in the wild one enough to Q. Not our best run- but I am still so, so proud of her. That one run really just signifies the whole journey- Wicca is not an easy dog to run. And we've certainly had our struggles- at the beginning of her career contacts were an issue, and then bar knocking, and then flicking away, and then more bar knocking, and then handling, and then start lines...it's all been an ongoing issue. lol. But over the years of running this dog I have learned (with the help of friends) to just give'er. Never handle to avoid. Never doubt. Just go. And that's what I did all weekend with her. I never thought twice about a handling path or strategy. And we had an awesome weekend. Not only did she Q in Jumpers but she also Q'd in five other events. Really.
We had a 106 point Gamble. Beat only by Gyp.
Her second Standard was brilliant. Q
The first snooker was fast and furious. Four 6's for 55 points. The highest overall.
The second snooker was a little crazy but we managed to Q.
And we finished off with a steeplechase run that was so fast I thought I had missed part of the course. lol
She is a brilliant dog, and I am very lucky to have such a great partner.

Princess Pixel was a bit of diva this weekend- having a little blip in almost every run. That damn dog walk contact. lol. I am frustrated, but at myself not my dog. She obviously has no idea what she is supposed to do. It's going to take some time to fix. I also made some stupid handling choices with her- got lost on a gamble. lol. Weird stuff that doesn't normally happen to us.  Tunnel discriminations (as in two tunnel mouths, make a choice) continue to defeat us. We got stuck in a tunnel vortex on a standard. She went in the wrong mouth three times before changing her mind. She did manage to Q in Snooker though- with a respectable 41 points. lol. But she was running fast, and had fun. Even the Princess has off days. :)

And little Vito got another Q! In Gamblers this time. He ran fast and had loads of fun, and then promptly became the lazy dog I know and love for the other two runs I had him entered in. He is so much work to get around a course when he doesn't wanna. I think he's a one run per weekend kinda guy.

And that's that. I still can't quite believe that Wicca did it. It's strange, how something so huge and so difficult is now just done. It's an interesting thing that I can't put into words. I am just so thrilled. What a girl.

And of course kinda like an acceptance speech at the Oscars I have to thank the people that helped us to get here. I couldn't possibly list everyone, and what if I missed someone?!! So, you know who you are. But know that I appreciate all the help over the years. And not only the help- but the pushing, and the bossiness. Having a great circle of friends is really important in this sport, and I am very lucky to have so many! I do have to mention Sarah though- without her help we'd still be in Starters Snooker for sure, and not celebrating an ATCH. So thanks. :)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats on your ATChC!
Sounds like a great weekend:)

Sarah said...

It was nice to FINALLY have that elusive Jumpers run that just kept getting away like someone playing a mean trick on you. You know you'll like 5 Jumpers Qs in a row now, just because things work out that way.

I'm glad i've been at your side through her journey - through the good times and the BAD ... even when you didn't want to hear what i had to say :)

glad you will finally have that piece of paper that says ATCHC ... even though in my mind you had that level of accomplishment a long time ago!!!!!!

Tucker The Crestie said...

Congratulations! Well done by all!

PoochieMama said...

I really thought Wicca had her ATCHC a long time ago so it was a surprise for me - Huge congrats - I know how difficult Wicca can be although she is still our idol! Well done!