Sunday, March 13, 2011

Five

A few weeks ago I got a rescue email from a family who were looking for a more active home for their young dog. I asked for more information and photos. As we talked about the dog it occurred to me more than once that this dog sounds like a perfect dog- for me. I tried to stop myself as no one really needs five dogs. But the more I learned about her the more I liked her. She has many of the qualities I love in a dog.. And then they said the'd be happy to bring her for a visit. They were going to visit family near here and wouldn't mind dropping her off. I met her on Friday.


I don't need five dogs. But when she jumped up and smiled at me I melted just a bit.
I don't need five dogs. But she walked in the house and the dogs were instantly calm
I don't need five dogs. But she has lots of great things going for her.

Still I didn't want to jump into this without knowing the dog.
I am known for my spur of the moment, rash decisions (sometimes bad), in the dog department. I blogged recently (about Dave, the foster dog) about the difference of choosing with your heart vs. your head.  I have learned from those I assure you. If this dog didn't have everything I wanted I was set to send her packing. I think I've done pretty well not falling in love with every dog that comes through my door. Dave was very hard, but I knew that he wasn't the dog for me. I know that this is it for me. There will be no puppy in a year- but that's okay because I think that this dog is the right one.

After spending a day (now two) with this dog I know that she is the dog for me. Well, at least I think so.

Most importantly she fits in my house. Wicca likes her. Which is odd. Boone thinks she's cute, Vito still pretends she doesn't exist, and she and Pixel almost played. My dogs are first and formost my pets- so how they mesh is important.
She is very happy, very friendly, and loves everyone she meets. She hasn't met a stranger yet.
She is smart. Learned how to down in five minutes. She has caught on to the clicker already, and we are learning how to offer behaviors now.
She is cute. Good looks are important. :)
She is not sound sensitive or spooky.
She is not soft. This is important to me as I struggle with the super soft dogs and wanted a tougher temperament.
She wants to please.
She is great in the house.
She is atheltic and fast.
She wants to play and has plenty of drive. (I may be sporting a black eye from her enthusiasm...)
She has long legs. :) I had decided that my next dog was not going to be a corgi. I needed a better balanced dog to play agility with, and wanted a tall dog to do obedience with...


She is not without her faults though. Her life so far has been one as just a pet. Her previous owners let her chase/herd dogs for exercise. She won't be allowed to run off leash with the other dogs for a while. She needs to learn to control herself when dogs are moving. Already she is way better in the house.  The other thing is that she has no idea what to do with toys. She is interested, but has yet to pick one up. We will be working on this. Toy drive isn't a neccesity although I don't think I will have trouble teaching her to tug and play.

There are many reasons why it isn't ideal for me to have another dog right now. But in my heart I believe that this dog is mine. Sometimes these things just happen. And sometimes the best things in life are the ones we haven't planned for.


p.s She needs a name. The name she has is not very good. lol

19 comments:

onecollie said...

Fleury :))

WigglyZack said...

She is beautiful. "Fly" or "Freya" - means little girl in Swedish

katie said...

Oh she is adorable. Lucky you! Of course I am biased because I also have a split-faced BC rescue girl. (and I have 5 dogs, too)

Crazy Cardiness said...

5 dogs isn't too many
;-)
Kismet? She is pretty!

Debbie said...

Karma

One breeder told me that anything up to five is easy (of course she was talking about Cavaliers :-))

Katrin said...

Moon or Crescent Moon. her face looks like a crescent moon with the white markings.

Diana said...

She beautiful. I can see why you like her. How about "split" or "slice" (A slice of the good life)

Kim said...

Mazda (Zoom Zoom)
Kola
Puzzle

Brittany said...

How exciting!

Nivia
I second Puzzle
Dakota

Lani said...

Congrats on the new pack member! She's a lovely girl.

Constance said...

You may have already chosen, but I like Bonny because she looks "piratey" to me. Anne Bonny was a famous female pirate.

Nicki said...

She's beautiful! Sometimes the right dog comes at what seems like the wrong time (aka Legend) but then it turns out really was a good time!

Karen said...

If it's the right dog, it becomes the right time:)
She's lovely.
Talked to someone this weekend that had an aussie puppy (but really looked more border collie). He had named her Fenn, from a character is a book, although I can't remember which book. The more I thought about that name, the more I liked it.

Jules said...

I like all the name suggestions and cannot wait to hear what you pick or she picks. :)

I think you've made a great choice - the energy from her pictures is so positive and happy.

Dawn said...

We were 5 at our house until Kazin passed. 5 is do-able, harder if you are training/trialling all of them though. She is lovely and I know you will have a great time with her.

Taryn said...

She's a beautiful girl! And I hear you on the better balanced agility dog. Corgis, and esp. Cardi males like I have, are not well built for the sport. If I were in a position to get a new dog, I would definitely be drawn to a BC.

I think you are very lucky!

Elayne said...

She's gorgeous! Sometimes that perfect dog just falls in your lap. I vote for Sheena for her name.

BCxFour said...

She is beautiful!!! I wish I could help you with a name, but I am terrible with names. I did, however, like one of the suggestions above "Moon" would be a good fit for her...but as I was writing this and looking at her picture the name "Pye" or "Pie" came to mind. Don't know why, just popped in there. Maybe because she is a gorgeous little pie face!

K9-CRAZY said...

She is striking, but has a very devilish look in her eyes. It's like she's daring you to keep her or something. Congrats!