Wednesday, December 02, 2009

At the Barn


Last night I took Wicca and Pixel to the arena for class. Pixel was a last minute decision, I am really glad I didn't take Boone. The arena had been recently (as in very recently) hosed down so it was muddy. I would not have been happy to have my freshly groomed dog there. :o)

Despite the muck, class was great. We had three stations set up with very specific things to work on at each. It was the perfect night to bring Pixel.

We did some back chaining on the frame, and she did the full frame three times successful! She is really driving into the 2on2off position, which is great! We also did some one jump stuff- deceleration, front crosses, and lead outs. Then we did some rear cross exercises- she LOVES the tunnel so thought it was a pretty fun game. We ended with some weaves- three poles, and then four poles. She is looking for the entry pretty consistently, although did cheat a few times when she was thinking about the hotdog at the end and not the actual weaves. :o) Oh, and we also did a tiny amount of surfing on the teeter- mostly so I could get a photo....

I am not in a big hurry, and am just plugging away at my plan- trying to make sure I'm not screwing her up too badly. :o)

Wicca only did a few little things- we worked on some tunnel mouth discrimination (she is really naughty about that) and surprisingly she did really well and only made one error. Also we worked on driving ahead off the frame with the tunnel under- she thinks if there is a tunnel mouth beside her she should take it on the way. I only did one full frame with her though- otherwise I placed her on the end. We did a few rear cross drills (the same ones I did with Pixel) and some weave pole proofing. One of Kim Collins ways to proof her dogs entries is to try and make them go in the wrong pole. (restraining them at the second pole and telling them to weave) I didn't try it with Wicca at the seminar because I wasn't comfortable weaving with her yet. I did it last night and she fell for the trick every time except once. LOL. I really need to work on entries.

It was a pretty successful night overall, and we got lots of work done in an hour.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Pixel is so photogenic! It seems like most corgis are. I am so glad to hear Wicca is doing well!