Sunday, June 01, 2008

Training, Training and more training

This has been a pretty productive weekend! I have gotten lots of training in, household stuff, rescue stuff, and even got to sleep in a bit this morning!

Friday night Wendy and I went out training. I took Vito, Boone and Wicca. I wanted to work on having the tunnels on either end of the dogwalk. Boone still hesitates a bit and I needed to work on his contact behaviour as well. He did great- and seemed to enjoy the "slingshotting" across the walk. I played the same game with Vito and he thought that was pretty fun! I am still not making him stop on the contact...I am having a hard time deciding so in the meantime I am having him run low and off. Not a true running...but for V-man it will do.

I worked on some discrimination with Wicca, and had started in on some handling when the rain started. So we cut it short and went home.

Saturday was pretty busy. I had two adoptions, and we took in three more dogs...We went to a livestock auction and it was one of the most disturbing things I have witnessed. The dogs were tied up on fences in the hot sun- there were three guardian dog pups in a chicken coop...and the birds! Oh my...sick. I can't believe people. Anyway, we came back with a little corgi that I just couldn't leave, and two Border Collie/Shih Tzu pups. I must say it is a pretty cute cross...I am sure they will get adopted quick! You can take a peek at them on the rescue blog..

Later in the day I worked the dogs in the yard, Boone's weaves are improving, and I worked on some obedience with Wicca. Vito is learning a new surprise trick and Sam got to play fetch.

I also groomed the dogs in the morning....Boone got a brush-out and trim down...he looks pretty spiffy. I like him shaggy but it was getting really long and just messy looking. He still looks messy..but in a tidy sort of way :o) And Kate got a bath and blow out...She is shedding like a maniac right now...the hair that came off that dog was amazing....I will never have another shepherd!

Today was a great day...the two pups slept through the night so we all got a good sleep- and I got to sleep late (until 8) A bunch of us went out training this morning and I got a lot done. I took Boone and Wicca. I worked on the number 5 (Clean Run exercise from this month) and it was lots of fun- I need to improve my timing in the threadle cue...still. It seems so weird that it is so difficult...I am going to practice that every day as I am sure we will be seeing them at regionals and nationals! I worked on discrimination a bit with Wicca too as it normally is one of her strong points but it is nice to test that. And of course we did some weave type games. Fun, Fun!

Boone had fun too- we did some weave poles...only 6. I was going to work up to twelve but I ran out of steam. Next time! We also did some restrained recalls over the dogwalk. His contacts are getting so good! He is not hesitating anymore either which is great. I played with him on the 5 exercise- worked on the pinwheel and rear crosses....he is getting more comfortable with them.

I was pretty happy with Boone today- he is such a good boy and he tries SO hard...


oh- and he's fetching now...at the daycare. Yup. That's right. He's not scared of the daycare run anymore!

1 comment:

Jules said...

re Boone - AWESOME!!!

Sounds like a super productive weekend. I am jealous!! ;-P