Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sam Update

This weekend Sam saw Susan Sutcliff for the first time. I have been taking him to the Fitness Centre but out of curiosity I wanted to see what Susan would say about him. He had been doing very well but would go days of being pretty sore. I am a little frustrated about the whole thing. Anyway, Susan worked on Sam for just over an hour and gave me some great tips. She thinks that his lameness had alot to do with his Sacrum- which was not where it should have been at all. After some adjustments he was already feeling better than he had been. She also talked to me about how he walks- Sam always (or nearly always) has a hop to his walk. His back legs move together instead of apart. She wants me to teach him how to use his legs independantly of each other- So we have excercises that will help that aswell. She also suggested swimming. So the search begins today for a facility that has a pool for dogs. I have heard of one in Calgary and will do some phoning today.

Susan came and worked on him at the trial on Saturday- which meant that Sam had to sit around all weekend- watching all the other dogs play agility. It was pretty hard for him- he really wanted to play. I haven't taken him at all this year because I knew how hard it would be but this time it was unavoidable. Poor Guy, he doesn't know why he didn't get to play.

6 comments:

Katrin said...

I remember someone mentioning a few years back that "Its A Dog's World" in Calgary had a dog pool with treadmill. I think that's the name at least.

Good luck!!

manymuddypaws said...

Thanks, I take him to a physio place that has an underwater treadmill but he doesn't always weightbear so I need to find something that is just a pool....too bad it's so cold right now! We won't be able to get to the river now until spring...

Katrin said...

Are there any big horse training facilities/rehab places near you? A lot of times they have big pools (indoors and heated with ramps for easy entrance/exit) that they allow dogs to swim in because they work the horses in them. There is one around me (in MA) that used to allow dogs needing rehab too and now there is a specific indoor/heated dog swimming pool place as well.

Katrin said...

This is the org the dog swimming place is associated with:

www.caninewatertherapy.com

Maybe they can help you find somewhere near you for Sam?

Good luck!

manymuddypaws said...

Thanks Katrin!

I found a link on the site you gave me, I have been calling around and had no luck as of yet.
Thanks again,

Amanda

Katrin said...

welcome. Would love to hear how it works out. Hope the boy will be ok! Gotta keep these corgis going strong and long ya know!!! :-)