Saturday, September 26, 2009

Every dog has a reason

Loretta at Full Tilt Border Collies blogged the other day about the fact that every dog teaches you something. She was refering to this quote
"Every handler gets the dog he/she deserves." Royal Airforce K9.


Years ago when I first got Kate a trainer friend told me that same thing. We get the dogs we deserve, and each dog has so much to offer. I didn't really get what she meant then...I sure do now.

When I got Kate I wasn't a dog trainer. I was a dog owner who was trying desperately to get through to her dog. To establish confidence, and train her to be an Obedience and Agility dog. Kate taught me so much about dogs in general, behaviour, and patience. At the time I didn't appreciate the challenge. I wanted a dog that could just get out there and do it. But looking back, I am a better dog trainer because of her.

When I got Wicca I had a plan. That plan backfired and then sped away. :o) The stuff I learnt about patience and training with Kate came in very useful. Wicca taught me not to rush, and not skip the good stuff. She taught me how to run, and how to be a better handler. Wicca has given me so much freedom and was a well needed break from the challenge of Kate.

Sam was the perfect dog. I had him for a short time, not nearly long enough. But it gave me a glimpse of what it would be like to train a dog who is already perfect. He had only minor issues, and was a dream to train. Quick, Smart, and Eager. Perfect. I deserved him for longer.

Vito has taught me the most important thing. Accept the dog that you have. You cannot make a dog love something they don't. Pushing, Bribing, and Hoping are not effective tools to get a dog to do what you want. With Vito I have learned to lay off. Period. He does things on his own terms and I do not push. Ever. We had some serious relationship issues because of my desire to make him play agility. I laid off. He is happy in his role of house dog with the occasional outing. I love him for who is he is, not for what I wanted him to be.

Boone needed me as much as I needed him. I needed a distraction, and he needed to learn to live in the real world. This dog has taught me to laugh. To lighten up and enjoy the moment. Again the patience I learned with Kate came into play, but this time I could see the light. Boone always had the "want" but didn't know how. He has taught me to be a better problem solver, and how to look to the heart of the dog.

Pixel is perfect. Not even kidding. I so deserve this dog. Sure she does the occasional naughty puppy things, but basically she is one of those dogs who just get it. All of the things I did wrong with Wicca I am doing right with Pixel and the pay off is amazing. It is like a breath of fresh air sometimes. A dog who never questions, and just does. If I've taught her correctly she will do it. Every Single Time. Like I said, I deserve this dog.

Without these dogs I wouldn't be the person, or the dog trainer I am today. They have each taught me so much, and with each of them I have grown as an owner, and as a trainer.

Thanks Loretta, for reminding me to appreciate what I have, and more importantly what they've taught me.

6 comments:

Taryn said...

Great post!

Loretta Mueller said...

Love it!! Sometimes the perfect dog (like your boy) are there to show us that our time with them is so very short and to enjoy every little bit we have.

Natasha said...

Love this post! It's so true how every dog teaches us something different, but everything they teach us is so valuable.

Visichy said...

Great post and so true! My first dog was very dog aggressive and I had to learn that when it comes to my dogs, I am the boss! Big lesson for a first time dog owner who doesn't take the dominant role automatically in life.

But today I have no problems with dog aggression in any dog that has come through my house. They know who is boss and I have my old boy Simon to thank for that lesson.

Elf said...

How true that every relationship teaches you something, whether human or beastly beast. I often think about what my dogs have taught me through the years. One important thing is that, every time I think I've got it almost figured out, I discover that there's a whole new world of things that I'd never even thought about. So be prepared, creative, and flexible.

Muttsandaklutz said...

Very insightful post. Life with dogs really is a journey...