Sunday, February 01, 2009

Weekend News- She was a show girl....


Pixel is cute. Like. Really, really cute. Beyond cute really. I have never been stopped so much in my whole life. Everyone liked her...

I will be the first to admit I am not a "show" person. They are a completely different kind of person. Not to offend the show people who read this but wow- there sure are some wackos. I saw two fights- in the ring...not the dogs- people. I heard more gossip and cattiness than I have heard since High School, and well...sometimes I think all the hairspray and chalk get to people after a while.

Anyway...back to Pixel.

The grooming.
I had bathed her on Wednesday and she managed to stay mostly clean. I did a quick touch up bath on Friday. Jolene helped me a lot- with the actual grooming part- she did her ears, re did her feet (I attempted them...) and had the most amazing stuff called Waterless Shampoo. It worked great to make her feet White again...I used the fun mousse like coat stuff and fluffed up her front, flattened her "fluffy butt" and I must say she looked pretty darn good!


The Showing.
We got to go in for breed. There was no competition so of course she then got to go in Group, and then Puppy Group again on Saturday. There was no Puppy group on Sunday because the dog who won group was a puppy...cute little red merle aussie...
So we had lots of opportunity to practice- I think overall we did great.

I think I did a pretty decent job of handling Pixel- I was not nervous at all, and did what the judge asked me to do. I did lots of free stacking- and she magically learned only to stand and look cute..She only sat a few times but that was only when we were in group and had to wait forever for our turn... I got some great suggestion on how to make her ears perk up when we moved around the ring. She plastered them to her head on Saturday...

Pixel was great. Really Great. She stacked like a pro, and didn't act like a 6 month old puppy should act. She had one goofy moment on Saturday and the judge actually laughed at her...it was very cute..Otherwise she was poised and very much a Diva.

Natalie got some video of the big event-

This is in the Breed ring...


Here is Pixel in the group ring this afternoon...the judge was very abrupt and was quite forceful even in the Breed ring. Lots of people were complaining about him...except of course the people who won under him!


and one more short clip of the Group...


Man, is she cute!

12 comments:

BCxFour said...

you wrote "I heard more gossip and cattiness than I have heard since High School, and well...sometimes I think all the hairspray and chalk get to people after a while."

SO RIGHT YOU ARE! LOL I am dying laughing here-my husband just asked me what was so funny...I was giggling so much I couldn't answer him. Well said!

-Carolynn

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely correct -- she is way too cute for her own good.

Many of the conformation people are nasty. They are successful if their dogs win, so winning takes on HUGE significance for them. Sad, isn't it that what should be a family pet becomes the holy grail, and seeking the grail leads to such negativity and fault finding (and outright lying).

I'm glad your baby showed so well.

dreameyce said...

It always seems to me like the jerks in conformation, have NO friends, just lots of money. Maybe I'm wrong, but seems to me the most down-to-earth people are the ones who are doing it because they love dogs, and not because they have too much money for their own good, and need a hobby to spend it on. In my 15+ years showing in conformation, I've seen the best, and worse of people.

Pixil has AWESOME movement! If only she wasn't a FLUFF! Man, she's so beautiful, and cute :) Keep with the videos. She's got a decent show career ahead of her (if you wish ;), as long as you can work around the coat, and she matures the way she's looking.

I loooove seeing dogs (any breed) with a championship, plus performance titles. Makes me giddy, and I want to see it more in Cardigans. For being a working breed, there isn't enough performance titles :(

Jules said...

What a cutie pie! Being new to the breed ring - I find it very nerve-wracking! She looked great!

Papillon Penny said...

Wow, you both clean up pretty good! Congrats on doing so well - Pixel is just awesome!

Blazingstar said...

Looking great Amanda and Pixel!! I wish I could have seen you in the ring, but staying until 4pm was not very practical for those of us who are in the ring at 9am!

Playing the videos woke all of my dogs up.

The aussie puppy in your group went on to win best in show - quite remarkable for a puppy.

onecollie said...

hahaha! try staying until 8pm when you're in the ring again at 8am!!!
Anyhoo!....you guys did soooooo awesome, I hope you keep showing her, I'll help with the grooming if you do!!
All that negativeity sure got to me by the end of the weekend too!!!!
next time we'll bench together at a much smaller show!

miradukesadie said...

Sooo cute! Great job! I have to say you're the only one without the manatory show ring suit jacket and skirt attire though!!! LMAO!!

Kim said...

Pixel, you are just gorgeous! Amanda, it was so fun to see you and Pixel in the ring together. You both looked great (I don't think I have ever seen you dressed up before, Amanda).

Traci said...

I think Pixel is an absolute cutie patootie! She's not a fluffy, is she? (referring to a comment made earlier) She doesn't appear to be... I wish you all the best in the breed ring with her. Don't let people's attitudes get to you! Some people can get WAY too wrapped up in it. Go in, have fun with your dog, and be proud of your doll faced blue girl! :)

Holly said...

You rock as a team! Pixel is too darn cute for her own good and you did VERY well with her in the breed ring.

Diana said...

She looks great. I couldnt tell she was a puppy, she was walking so gracefully. Diana