Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Deep Breath

I quit the rescue on Friday.

I have been thinking for months about the best way to take better care of my life, and after a few incidents, a few snide comments, and myself becoming more and more grumpy, I realised that the rescue is what causes most of my issues.

I spend HOURS everyday doing rescue stuff- calling, emailing, arranging, meeting, dealing with pissed off people, and of course dealing with the dogs. My job was a big one, and even split between another person it was still too much for me.

I found my own life was always put on the back burner- even my own dogs in some cases. Which is not okay. Ever. I love all dogs....well most dogs. But my dogs need to come first. Always. Sadly this has not been the case for a while.

The people involved with the rescue are wonderful, caring people who are passionate about dogs- just as I am. They are all people that I have respected. Now that I've quit though there has been tension, and angry emails have been flying back and forth. I am not ashamed to admit that I wrote one or two of them. But I will not be stepped on.

Those of you who know me. Know that I am a strong person, and can take a lot. But seriously. I am done. I am done with cattiness, the backstabbing, and am not quite sure how things ended like this. It makes me sad to feel that not only have I quit rescue, but I've had to quit friendships aswell. Which is not what I had thought would happen.

I will miss a lot of things about the rescue- but I am grateful that I've finally taken a step towards bettering my life. I know that the rescue will continue on just fine without me.

Deep Breath.

15 comments:

Diana said...

It always surprises me when people get angry when you quit a job. I hope things get better. Diana

Kim said...

That must have been a very difficult decision to make, Amanda. The emotion that goes into dealing with rescue must have been overwhelming - both in a good and bad way. Good for you for putting yourself first - that is not always an easy thing to do, especially when you love animals the way you do. It is too bad that others could not have understood your point of view a bit better - but when dealing with such a passionate issue, emotions run high. Hopefully, in time, others can respect why you did what you had to do.

Anonymous said...

Amanda:
Thank you for all that you have given. And, for all that you have given up. I hope that no one would ever doubt how deeply you care for all dogs. Of course, your dogs-- your family-- should and must be your priority. I can only say, from the bottom of my heart, that we (humans and dogs) were blessed by the work you did with PDCR.
Mary

dreameyce said...

I've been in your shoes too. It's amazing how much drama can collect when people group together to help animals. Amazing really.

The worse part though, worse than quitting a passionate task, which you knew made a huge difference, is loosing friends. I've been there, and it's not easy.

I hope in the future, agreements to disagree can be reached, and the ability to mend those wounded friendships can occur. In the end though, it's you who looks yourself in the mirror, and you're doing the right thing by doing what you feel is best for you, and your family... even if it's not a simple task.

Good luck Amanda!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you quit. You helped us adopt a dog this past summer, and were very helpful. We appreciated it a lot. And, the adoption has worked well, we love our new dog.

Marcy said...

You did great work and will continue to be a hero to dogdom in my eyes.
It ain't fun anymore when tears are being shed (assumption?) over something that you are doing out of the kindness of your heart, been there, done that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amanda. You helped our family by giving us an attitude changing gift - our dog. Just wanted you to know that not only did you assist us in finding the most forgiving and loyal (and goofy:) companion, you helped me to soften a little and realize what a miracle a pet can be. Best to you from this point on.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I don't know the situation, but what I do know is that you LOVE dogs.
You did your share, now you're done, for whatever reason.
You can feel good about the time you put in.
Now, it's time for you and your own doggies.
Enjoy the freedom.

Jules said...

Good for you. Sometimes it is so hard to change the things that obviously need changing the most. I am sure you got a lto from the rescue and gave a lot. Now some time for you and your dogs.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Amanda. Thank you SO MUCH for our wonderful little dog we got last June (Maybe)who is just a joy in our lives.

Sarah said...

if it wasn't for you, i wouldn't have gyppie.

who knows where she would be!

ClassyChassy said...

You did the right thing for yourself, and that's great news. I don't know you or what situations caused you to close the door to working with the rescue, but it will bring you peace, and more time for YOU! (Forgive me, I can't help it..."that's a GOOD thing!" - as Martha Stewart would say!) We'll be looking forward to more new postings from you. - Peace! :)

Anonymous said...

Amanda I know how much time effort and heart you put into rescue...now it is time for you to put all that into yourself and your own dogs..

Julia

Anonymous said...

Amanda Just wanted to say thanks for all the free advise that you provided with our little one that we adopted in June. You put your heart and soul into the rescue and anyone who has had the chance to see all the work that you have done truly is in awe. Good Luck in everything you do. I hope our paths cross again. Remember to always be good to yourself.

Judy said...

Amanda, I know your hard work and passion will be missed at the Rescue, but I feel strongly that you and your own dogs have to come first and I commend your decision.