Monday, February 23, 2009

Teaching and Training

Despite wanting to sleep in this weekend I didn't really get the chance. I was sad. I had a pretty busy weekend- taught (two very different things) both days, walked dogs, trained dogs, cleaned my house, cleaned my yard, and visited family.

Saturday Sarah and I taught a mini-seminar for a better part of the day. Our Mini-Seminars are essentially a four hour class. We only have the arena one night a week and for most of our students it isn't enough- so every once in a while we offer a four hour training session. This particular session was jump patterns and handling- pinwheels, serpentines, threadles, and weaves. Fun Fun!

After that I went for a leash walk around a busy park with Wendy and Sandy. It was Pixel's first time at that park and she was her usual happy little self. She went over her first, and second wood bridge and wasn't phased at all. Boone was a bit worried about the traffic, but seemed to enjoy himself mostly.

Sunday I taught a seminar at the daycare about Good Dog Play. It was a little two hour seminar that about 20 people came to. It went really well, and I think that people got lots of great information. I talked about body language in general, and then talked about different play styles, what is appropriate, what isn't, etc. We had 10 or so daycare dogs there for people to watch and actually see the different things we had talked about. It was a great idea, and we've already had people asking if we are going to do more seminars! I was happy that so many people were interested in learning more about what their dog is telling them. It makes teaching fun when they are so into it and want to learn.

Vito and his favorite girl Zoey show off their good dog play skills....



I worked at the daycare after that at indoor dog park, and then went home and did some training with the dogs.

Boone's handstand is coming along, and Pixel is still doing plank work, hand touches, and I also have started to clicker train "fetch." I have noticed that she only likes to pick up the toy if it is "moving" - which is not ideal if I am using the toy as something to send her to. So we are working on making boring, not moving toys, fun and exciting. She is smart and is catching on fast. Wicca is still working on her verbal "turn" cue, and is doing better. We had a bit of a break through yesterday and I think she understands more what she is supposed to do in relation to the jump.

The only rotten thing that happened was Pixel eating her log book. I was pretty pissed, but really it is my fault. I had left it on the coffee table Friday night after some training and during my shower she ripped it to shreds. Sigh. I have been really good right from the beginning about record keeping for her...and then she eats it...

6 comments:

Papillon Penny said...

Pixel reminds me of Bizzie - she ripped apart my cheque book register a couple of weeks ago! She loves paper.

Anonymous said...

I think Pixel was leaving a comment!

Jules said...

ROLF - Buggie's one vice is ripping paper. He loves to!

onecollie said...

hmmmmm interesting!! I left my glasses on the book I was reading last night....guess who ate them!

Kim said...

Hmmm . . . another "in the shower" incident.

Maybe you should crate the dogs while you are in the shower :0

I am ducking now - I am going to get hit with a jump pole for that, aren't I?

HaHa !!!!

Anonymous said...

I left some papers on our couch. Jackie ate the couch.

You should keep your records on computer, and email the records to yourself or a colleague or otherwise back up everything autonmatically to offsite storage.

Not that I follow my own advice all that well...