Sunday, February 08, 2009

Terry Simons day two

The best thing about the way that Terry teaches is that he is flexible. Yes, there are rules and you should be consistent- but what works for one dog may not work for another- he takes into account not only the dog but the handler aswell.

I had a good morning session with Boone- we focused on distance and Terry had some really neat exercises to teach go ons, outs and directionals.

The afternoon session was really, really good. More handling drills that were challenging but fun. I got the some of the best advice ever today. When doing a lead out pivot I need to just go and release as I am moving into the cross- when we did this there were no knocked bars. It felt better and looked much better. Wicca and I had some really nice runs and I am much more confident in her and my handling abilities.

Which leads me to Terry's observation- he thinks that I am afraid of success. He is not the only one to think that either- Sarah agrees. I don't think I have ever really thought about it. I mean I have goals, and am competitive- I like to win. But there could be some truth to the afraid of success thing. I blogged yesterday about me being too relaxed an casual- like it doesn't matter. Agility does matter to me so I don't know why I act like that. I do try to do well, and I do try and improve every time. But there are times when things are definitly "off." I have even caught myself screwing up on purpose at a trial before. Apparently I am more messed up than I thought. I wonder why I don't try harder sometimes though, and I wonder if that is even something I can change.Something to think about that is for sure.

We will see Terry again in May in Calgary- I am looking forward to it- he is not only a great instructor but he has an awesome sense of humour- today there was tequila and a sparkly shot glass.....overall it was a great weekend with lots of laughs!!!!

2 comments:

onecollie said...

you want my opinion???
you are afraid to let go!!! Make some noise, jump up & down, be an idiot with your dogs like me!!! It's ok to make a fool out of yourself if you win or do something great...who cares what people think!
Now get out there & succeed!! dammit!

Judy said...

Afraid of success....hhmmm. Odd, because you spend a lot of your time trying to make people like me succeed (and my dogs). I can see what you are thinking...but you know you deserve to succeed as much as anyone...so go for it girl!