Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Training....

I have been working with Wicca for the past few weeks on a verbal cue for "turn" which means to my dog that she needs to turn 180degrees away from me.

We have it on the flat. We have it moving on the flat. We have it going into a tunnel. We have it moving on the flat going into a tunnel. So you'd think that she'd understand how to do it over a jump....but no.

So last night at the arena we worked a lot on this. Over, and over, and over again. And she is getting it- which is great! Timing is super important, and with all things Wicca, I discovered last night she turned better if I cued her late....who knew?!

I waffled for a really long time about teaching a verbal directional. I didn't think I needed one. Well, I was wrong. I know, shocking. I have been very good about not using my off arm to turn her anymore- and well, we needed something to replace that. I am excited to see the wheels turning in her head, and I do think it will make my gambling dog just that much better.

In other news I borrowed the Crate Games DVD from my friends. I have gotten to the point with Pixel that I am unsure of the next step. I am excited to watch the DVD- there is probably LOADS of great information in there...and probably some steps that I've skipped along the way that I will have to go back and proof. She will not release from the crate unless she hears the magic word, no matter if there is playing, tugging, food throwing, etc...she is very good about firing back into the crate aswell- which is half the game!

I have been doing lots more training at home (one of the benefits of more free time) and the dogs are doing really well. We are working on rear end awareness stuff- Vito has no idea that he has a bum and two back legs. Really...Finally have managed to teach him to back up though...he's like a transport though and is not very graceful about it!

I am teaching Boone a handstand- he is the only one of my dogs that is physically able to do it, and I thought it would be a fun training challenge. So far he is doing pretty well. He really likes the "game" and is very eager to play!

I found this video on you tube- and it is similar to how I've been training Boone...

We are about at the stage where the dog is at the 50 second mark..it has been fun to train!

4 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

you, wrong, never :) and you are not stubborn either.

well it only took you a year :)

it was one of the best things i did last year, and it has stopped pretty much any flicking off to other obstacles on course because the dogs know what i am telling them - they are not having to guess, when my arm comes up - and i telling them to go forward, away from me, into me?

wicca will become a much better gamble dog because of it - and your handling will benefit overall on course. those gamble Qs will come even easier. K had 9 last year (inc. reg & nats) for crying out loud!

and remember .... i am always watching you .....

GeeRome said...

Thanks for posting that video! I saw some hand-stand videos on YouTube a while back and it has been on my "list of things I want to teach Romeo". I've been going over it in my head as to how I would teach it, never thought of the method in the video, though! That looks fantastic! I will definitely be trying that one out soon.

Can't wait to see Boone performing it!