Saturday, February 07, 2009

Tired- Terry Simons day one

The seminar was great today. The exercises were not only challenging, but fun too!!

Boone was in the morning handling session and did really well. He was focused and very excited to be there. It was all about handling- front crosses and talking about the where and the why's. I got some good advice with him- Terry suggested that I run with urgency- right off the start especially to get more out of him.Which makes total sense. I am a very casual/relaxed person- even handling in agility- which is good when you are running a wired dog, but with Boone I need to be more amped.

Wicca did good too- again we talked about the where and why's of front and rear crosses. We also addressed some bar knocking issues.There was one exercise that required you to serp a jump- after watching Wicca slam into the bar a few times he suggested that I cue the serp late- no bar!!!! She still made the turn- and it looked/felt good, but the bar stayed up. Terry is very good at "looking" at the dogs movement and response to handling cues. He noticed that when I applied pressure (to change the line with a front cross for example) she will actually go out of her way to avoid me and that pressure- which I thought was interesting.

Overall it was a great day. I really enjoy Terry's teaching style- he is funny, and explains things well. I am looking forward to day two!

1 comment:

Life With Dogs said...

My goodness this reminds me how far we have to go :(

Good showing :)