Thursday, March 05, 2009

Stay


Okay, I did it. I taught Pixel how to stay. Like- she really, truly understands what the word means. She is thoughtful about and will actually stay. I did a good job. I need a cookie! :o)

I seriously hate teaching stay. It is boring. Stupid Excuse eh? I hate excuses really, and I find myself making all sorts of ones for the reason behind Wicca's lack of understanding. I figured I would start with the puppy the right way, and then go back and fix everyone elses.

I have been working with Pixel for two weeks now (I think) on stay- adding duration, and then distance. I can now lead out 10 feet and she will stay in the exact position I left her waiting in anticipation of the party we are going to have when I get back to her. She is very clever.

It is funny and sad that it has taken only a few short weeks with her- and I have a five year old dog who should by all rights know what stay means. Wicca knows what it means. But she worries. Why? Well, because I am an idiot. I didn't actually ever stop and think to see if she actually understands what it means. As with most things to do with Wicca's training- I seem to have skipped a few steps. Geesh.

Maybe I should explain better. Wicca knows how to stay when she can see me.

She will hold a start line- no problem. She will hold a sit stay, and a down stay for one and three minutes in an obedience ring (she does have a CD) But hold an out of sight stay? Nope. She worries, and paddles her feet, and sometimes will lay down on her sit. All of my dog friends know that Wicca's weakest thing ever- is her stay. Sometimes it's related to her being in a hurry, sometimes she is not sure. Either way it is my fault- bad momma!!!

Since I created the problem and now I recognize what the problem is I am working on fixing it. She is doing pretty well- at home. I need to make more of an effort and go places and practice. Doesn't sound very hard right? I know. Easy.
I really, really want to get in the open ring with her. She is a fabulous obedience dog- and what I really I want to do is Utility- but Open is in the way :o)
She has everything else. We are ready. Except for my hangup on stay.

1 comment:

onecollie said...

Stay was Tate's downfall too....I was also a bad momma & forced him into a down stay when he was 7 mo. old, he never forgot it....for the longest time he viewed down stay as a correction, not an obedience exercise...I won't make that mistake twice!