Sunday, March 08, 2009

Running out of words

I have been working on obedience more with miss Wicca- and am teaching her the go out for directed jumping. the jumping part is easy, and so far she's catching on to the fact I want her to run straight away from me to the safety pin taped to the wall. But- question for you obedience people- what should I call it??

I know some people call it "back" or "go out" but both of those I use already- one for agility, and one to literally mean back up...any other suggestions?

On that note I think I am going to enter her in Open in Medicine Hat. Yeah. Scary. I am a little...okay, a lot nervous. I haven't filled out the forms yet.

I have been working stays- harder ones, every day since last week. Today she did a 2 minute sit stay at the daycare out of sight. The show isn't until May- Mothers Day weekend I believe. So I have a while to work on it. Her stays are the only thing she is weak on. Her heeling is great, her fetching is great, her broad jump is good- (we are working on improving that aswell!) So yeah. I might bite the bullet. I am not sending my entries in until next Monday so I have a week to decide.

Decisions, Decisions...

9 comments:

K9-CRAZY said...

You could always use the german command that's often used in Schutzhund for the send out – "Voraus".

Megan said...

I use "away" as a go out cue.

Sarah said...

I use run for the go back, like you running out of words!! Glad Wicca is doing better with stays!!

onecollie said...

listen Missy!!!, you fill out those forms!! We can do some sit stays after class on Wed. if you like...I can watch her...
how about "away" for the go back??

manymuddypaws said...

I like Away. I think that it has a nice ring to it. And I like the fact that it is two syllables. A-Way.

And since our sheep herding days are numbered it won't conflict with anything else..

Cool beans! Thanks ladies!

Nicki said...

i was going to suggest away but I'm too late, so how about "split"

Sarah said...

I think AWAY will work well too, or what about "bugger off"?? also has a nice ring to it

Megan said...

A couple friends use "CHARGE!" and I love that... I just don't have the confidence in an obedience ring yet to say "CHARGE!" hah... but I do use "fly" for the dumbell retrieve.

Sarah said...

For Kane (who is never really a speed demon), I use RunFast for go-outs. It always amuses those people who know him. ha. Saturday at our Open B run, it seemed like it took 30 seconds for Kane to travel far enough for the judge to give the drop signal on the recall!