Friday, October 10, 2008

winter training

Our Outdoor training season is coming to an end. This past week was the last week for outdoor classes- and for the next two weeks we will be training on the odd weekend, or early evening. But- the exciting part is that we've found a new, heated arena to train in.

Last year the arena we used was beautiful, but a little chilly...okay, a lot chilly. Most nights we froze our fingers, and it was not very fun for the shorthaired Weims and Vizsla that train with us! This year we'll have heat :o)

I like winter training- the temperature and weather is always predictable, there is no wind to blow the jumps all down and you don't have to worry about the weeds and grass being too long. Oh, and there is no traffic.

Boone still is a little weird out at the training field, and sometimes it is a struggle to keep him focused and having fun out there. Indoors I won't have that issue. Which is just fine for both of us!

I have put together a basic training plan for each of my dogs for the winter. The barn is a great opportunity to focus on those little things, and hopefully improve some bad habits.

We'll start with Wicca,

Handling- I need to go back and do some basic handling drills- threadles, serps, 270's, 180's, and of course pin wheels. I need to feel more comfortable with a threadle. I also want to work on her go on's up a straight line.

Weavepoles- we are going to avoid repetative weave training for a while due to her shoulder injury but there are some things I need to work on. wicca is a strong weaver but I need to proof open entries, front cross after poles, and independence.

Jumping- jumping, jumping, and more jumping :o)

Contacts- I won't be running Wicca alot on contacts for a while as I am sure that is what caused her shoulder injury initially. But I do want to work on curling, and proper position- I am going to go back and do backchaining of just the end behavior and insist on a nose touch. We'll see.

Startline- Wicca is becoming more and more sassy on the start line. Barking, hunching over, just being a jerk. I am going to work on this- alot.

Boone

Handling- he needs to better understand me. Lots of cookies and repetitions for him! Pinwheels, 180's, 270's and serpentines are all on his list. He needs to do lots of coming in to me- as he tends to drift a little :o)

Weaves- work up to 12 poles. he is at 8-10 now and doing well. He still will pop at pole 4 on the off side so more work on off side is needed. He also needs to work harder entries, and I would like for him to drive through a bit faster. I might go back and work some three and five poles for speed.

Contacts- backchain, backchain, backchain. I am not entirely happy that he still isn't understanding what I want. We need to work on driving into position and then add the rest of the obstacle. His dogwalk is better than his a-frame typically. I am going to go back and work on some happiest place games with him too.

Jumping- he is a good jumper for the most part but I'd like to do some grids with him, and work on "finding the line"

Warm up games- I need to make a longer warm up so have been teaching him some tricks and incorporating some front and rear crosses on the flat. Now I need to put it all together.

and Vito.

Weave Poles- learn them.

Contacts- happiest place, run. fast. :o)

Jumping- grids, drills, and small sequences

Equipment discrimination- at this point he doesn't have a clue :o)

and I'd like to build up his stamina a bit- he only likes agility in small doses and I'd like to change that.

As always nothing is written in stone and this is just my guideline for each of them. There are always little things that pop up- but I find it is important to know what you need to work on, and where you could use improvement. The sport of agility is a complicated thing- and it takes lots, and lots of training to keep you and your dogs "in the game" so to speak. But mostly, it is fun, and what else would we do in the evenings and on weekends besides train?! Oh, and it's fun too.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Good for you! I need to work out my winter training goals. i know what some of them are! ;-P

Diana said...

I do not know how you could stand training without heat. I cant imagine. I usually doesnt get that cold here so its not a problem. But where you live, Brrrrrrrrrr! Got heat? Yes you do. Yea!!! Diana

Sarah said...

i'll just copy your list, thanks.

hahahaa