Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What a difference...

one year can make....
Tomorrow will be one year that I first heard about Boone. I picked him up and brought him home on the 31st. He was described as "really worried and scared" by the person who got him initially from his old home.

I met him at a vet clinic in Calgary- he even let me pet him. The first week was pretty rough- he was petrified. The second week was better- he started to trust me. By the third week I started to see all his little quirky bad habits start to pop up. And by week four we started training and teaching him real life skills.
I first blogged about him 4 weeks after I got him. We had already come a long way.

Now, a year later I can hardly believe it is the same dog sometimes.

He used to crawl on his belly across the street- he prances now.
He used to head for cover under the table at the first sudden noise- now he goes around poking things to make noise!
He used to be shy and scared of new people- now he jumps on them and demands cookies
He used to be too scared to do his tricks in public- now he has the confidence to do them anywhere.




I remember the first tail wag I got from him- and the first time I saw him play with a toy- even now when he pats the ground with his front feet I laugh.

Boone is one of those dogs that you get for a reason- he really needed a person who had the time, patience and experience to help him, and I really needed him. I am not sure what I would have done without him.
There are lots of things still that we have to do, and he of course still has the odd issue pop up here or there, but for the most part he is a great dog- with lots of heart, and willingness to try.
I love this dog.

It has been a great year with him- and I am excited to see what the next will bring for us!



8 comments:

Sarah said...

Boone is your Gyppie!

That looks like the post I had of Gyp having her one year!

Dogs are amazing creatures and when one can tap into what makes then click, I think you can do anything with pretty much any dog - some are just more work.

People are the ones that hold them back, and use excuses to never let them shine and live to their fullest potential.

Jules said...

I agree 100%! I am so glad Bonne and Gyp came in to your lives.

Each dog has something important to teach us - even the *easy* ones.

Lauren said...

What a wonderful story! You are truly an inspiration for dog lovers everywhere.

PS That puppy is CUTE!

Brittany said...

Boon is such a cute boy! Good job on turning him into a confident, happy, well adjusted dog. I am sure your next year will be just as great as this one!

Kim said...

I still remember the first time I saw Boone - he was petrified of everything and just trembled as he tried to hide under the desk. Now look at him. A couple weeks ago he was herding sheep, as happy as could be, with a big clump of lamb wool hanging out of his mouth. He has totally come out of his shell and he has the best smile. He gets more and more confident every time I see him. What a great little dog.

Great post Amanda. You are both lucky.

onecollie said...

Isn't it amazing what a year of hard work & love can do?? I just read your blog about Boone from a year ago....you said "he is not normal & he never will be"...wow, he sure has improved since that statement! Good for both of you, you both needed each other at the same time & look how it turned out!

onecollie said...

Isn't it amazing what a year of hard work & love can do?? I just read your blog about Boone from a year ago....you said "he is not normal & he never will be"...wow, he sure has improved since that statement! Good for both of you, you both needed each other at the same time & look how it turned out!

Papillon Penny said...

He really did find the right mama!