Monday, October 27, 2008

Progression


With this new puppy coming I was thinking last night about all the things that have changed since I started agility.
When I first started training with my old, old dog Tina things were done pretty much one way. Even in agility you were taught to just run along side your dog and tell them where to go. Blind Crosses were all the rage. I don't recall backchaining ever. Weaves were taught with push and pull and then the channel method started popping up. 6, on side weave poles in Starters.


By the time Kate came around there were some options- I was introduced to clicker training. Agility had moved forward and now things were taught a little differently- wires for the weave poles, 2 on 2 off contacts were common (not in Kate mind you!) and handling was improving. Front and Rear Crosses appeared at the masters level. We started seeing 12 poles in starters- on side of course...

When I started Wicca things got harder. 12 poles were taught with no "off" side. Obstacle Independance was at it's peak. Discrimination, and Handling were things you taught right from the get go. Jumping too started to be thought of as important to teach. At trials you started seeing off side, hard angles even for starter dogs.

Agility seems to have a life all its own- one that grows and changes constantly. There are always new and better methods than the ones previous. New concepts and ideas to better your dog, and yourself. Of course there are "new" ideas that don't work for everyone- but I still like to learn all about everything I can and then I can choose what to try for my dogs.

I am excited to see what new things this puppy will bring.

No comments: