Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Winter Training Plans

During the summer/spring/fall months I typically train twice, or three times a week. In the winter we move to a horse arena and are limited to one night a week. This year we are going to rent the arena on a second night once or twice a month. That means that we'll have more training time- which is a good thing!

I like to set Winter goals with my dogs- our training time is limited so I have to make sure that I am working on things that need improving, and not just "going with the flow" of what other people are doing. I always go to training with a plan- but don't always stick to it. My list will help me to remember what I need to work on specific to my own dogs.

Wicca-
Threadles and Serpentines
A-Frame- self explanatory I think :o)
Directionals- with my running a-frame I need to make sure that her directional cues are strong. Go on and Turn.
Handling Drills- decel/accel and rear crosses.
Start Line- she has been getting bad about creeping/changing position

Boone-
270's and 180's
Threadles and Serpentines- need to go back to basics with him
Weave Drills- entries and exits
Directionals- Turn.
Contacts- are really strong, but I need to increase distance, and discrimination.

Vito-
will probably only come out to the arena once or twice. Mostly we'll be working at POTR and home.
Weave Poles are his goal this winter

Pixel-
is in a class starting the beginning of November that will continue to teach handling/jumping and weaving.
I will be bringing her to the arena once a month to work on contacts, and some light sequencing.

Fun Fun!

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Reminds me that I should start making winter plans too, will Pixel have a running AF?

~Nat

manymuddypaws said...

that's a good question Nat!

At this point I am teaching her a 2on2off, but may fade it away eventually. I can't imagine how difficult some of the gambles I've seen would be without a stopped contact...so for those types of things it is nice to have.

Also, I am doing a better job of teaching Pixel the correct "head down" position so in theory it will be easier on her body than Wicca's slam her body into the ground with her head cranked up....

Natasha said...

Okay sounds good, looking forward to hearing about Pixel's contact training this winter! I started putting Wall-e's 2o2o with a nose touch on the DW today, he does it great on the stairs at home but he's never had to stop on the DW before so he's like, "What?" Maybe Pixel's training will give me some ideas.

Yeah true about the gambles, and in some Standards too, makes it tougher to handle!

~Nat