Thursday, October 15, 2009

Obedience

I had such a great time training my dogs last night. I don't do Obedience nearly as often as I'd like to. Obedience is my first love, but sadly there are no classes or trainers around this area that I'd go to. (other than the ones I organise) So I either end up teaching classes or just not doing anything obedience wise.

Last night a few friends and I got together and it was so nice. Not to teach. Just to train.

I worked on very specific things with the dogs-

Wicca worked on her fronts, and finishes. Her finishes are getting really sloppy. We also did a few retrieves, some heeling, and a long sit out of sight. (Which I am happy to say she didn't break the second time)

Boone did some heeling, and some sit, down, and stand in heel position. I want to get his Advanced Rally title and he needs work on standing at heel. I only brought him out twice for really short bursts of work- he had fun and that's what I like.

With Pixel I worked on some heeling- her left turns are super now, no more forging. We need to work on our halts though, so last night was a good opportunity for that. I also need to start teaching her what "Front" means. It seems like it's been a long time since I taught it I am not sure where to start. Will have to go back and do some reading.

I also worked Sarah's dog Kaleb. (from digit, fetchit, herdit) It looks like I am going to take him in the ring for his CDX in December. He is a great working dog- very focused and does a great job. He has all the skills, and it was nice to heel with a tall dog! Even if he was a little slobbery. :o)

Poor Vito didn't get to come out. He was pretty happy though to get a yummy bone instead. :o)

It really is too bad that there isn't more interest in Obedience in my area. Lethbridge really sucks that way. I'd love to be able to just go to class once a week. I am hoping to do some more obedience this winter...we'll see though if I have time when Agility starts up again in a few weeks....

4 comments:

Visichy said...

I totally agree about obedience in Lethbridge. Great obedience classes are one of the few things I really miss about living in Calgary.

That's why I ended up obedience training Claire at home. But I sure miss the structure of a weekly class.

onecollie said...

I agree, it is too bad there are not more obedience people here in Lethbridge, it was very difficult to come here from Thunder Bay where they had 3 fantastic obiedence clubs with highly quailified instructors...all you had to do was pick which class you wanted to attend!

Sarah said...

well maybe we should quit our day jobs and become full-time instructors :)

p.s. and since you are now a pro-obedience handler, you can charge LOTS lol

pps thanks for working K, you looked great with him!!!

but why am I just as nervous???

manymuddypaws said...

sarah- "but why am I just as nevous??"

because you are his mom.

he will be fine. and you won't be there to see it if he's not. :o)