Monday, October 19, 2009

My Hero

A few months ago I noticed evidence of Mice (or A mouse) in my house. I put out traps, caught the little sucker (and a bunch of babies) and thought I was done with it. Ha!

I was away last week dogsitting so my house was empty. The mouse (or mice) are still alive and well. It is unfortunate. I am not afraid of mice, but can't stand the thought of them in my house. On my counters, on my stuff. It's gross.

I have had the traps out, and Wicca thinks she can get them. She knows where they (or it) like to hide and would stand and stare for hours if I let her. But I haven't caught any. It's like they learned from last time.

So I did what any mouse hating person would do. I got a cat.



Yes. A cat.

I don't dislike cats, but I am not a cat person. I've actually had a cat, or a few before. After I found a great home for my previous kitty (someone who likes cats, and had the time to spend with said cat) I swore I'd never get another. I just am not home enough for a cat. I felt so bad for my last cat- she was so sociable and would glue herself to my leg screaming the minute I walked in the door. I felt like a total jerk when I found her a new home, but she just wasn't right for my lifestyle.

But these are desperate times. And this time will be different. I am home more often now, and this cat is a pretty perfect fit so far.



The lady at the animal shelter told me he was surrendered because he "beat the crap outta the ladies little dog." Perfect! A cat who will stand up to the dogs. He is friendly, but independent and likes to do his own thing. He is also a mighty hunter and stalks his little toy mouse pretty intently (it's practice for the real thing)

Oh, and he is pretty darn cute. He is a great dark grey color with lots of white. He's got a perfect circle on one shoulder, and a white "X" between his shoulder blades. His face looks slightly lopsided due to the white zigzag on his face. And the grey dot on his chin adds to the overall look. :o)



I didn't go to the shelter looking for anything other than an already altered cat, who had some known history with dogs. This cat was napping when I went in the room, opened his eyes, yawned, had a big stretch and sauntered over to me like he didn't have a care in the world. Once I heard his story I knew he'd be perfect.

So far he is doing pretty good with the dogs. He is very brave and isn't afraid of them. He gave Boone a swat on the first day and now Boone gives him a wide berth. Vito on the other hand hasn't learned yet. Pixel LOVES the kitty, and wants so badly to kiss it. Everytime she walks by she gives him this super funny submissive smile. Wicca ignores him. Mostly things are pretty peaceful.

He doesn't have an official name yet. I suck at names. His original name is Buster. And well, I'm not really a "Buster" kind of girl. My other cats had food names (Ketchup) but this cat needs a hero's name. Something masculine and mighty. I've been thinking of Lance. As in "Sir Lancelot." Geeky Right?



I am totally up for some name suggestions if anyone has any.

So for $10.00! I got an already neutered, adult cat who is a mighty warrior. He is going to help me with my little mouse problem, and teach Vito to respect cats. Oh- and keep my lap warm this winter!

15 comments:

Dawn said...

HMMM, I think a mighty warrior needs a really strong name. Thor, Beowulf comes to my mind. I am not a cat person either, but really do adore the 2 we have.

Rohan Shelties said...

Ok, some name suggestions (I am a HUGE nerd, btw...)
Bruce (Wayne)
Clark (Kent)
Wallace (as in William Wallace)

Huh...looks like thats all Ive got! Congrats on your mouse inihilator!

Traci said...

he's a pretty cat.... I hope he helps with your mouse issue.... :) I can't help with any good names at this hour of the morning - brain hasn't switched on yet... I like Lance tho ;-)

Chris and Ricky said...

There's nothing like a cat on your lap in the winter! He is a cutey! And hopefully he's one heck of a mouser!

What about Attila?

Jules said...

He's beautiful. I love grey cats! And I hate mice. I use a have-a-heart trap and drop them miles and miles away - and then I feel guilty about that!

Hmmm...a hero's name. What about Arthur? Or...Sir Galahad?

Lance is also sweet and strong.

Diana said...

Terminator. Nator for short. Lol Diana

Deirdre said...

Awww...he reminds me of my first cat Chewy - came from a long line of Star Wars named cats. Chewy was named after Chewbacca and it suited him perfectly as he was the strong silent type.

onecollie said...

E-L-I-.....ELI!!!!! ELI!!!! ELI!!!!!
how about ELI!!!!!

Holly said...

I love cats too - have 4 of the beasts. Your new addition is a very cool cat. My Sabrina would have given Wicca some pointers in vermin eradication. But your big boy blue there should take care of the job for you. No idea as to names but I like Big Blue for him - I think it fits.

Visichy said...

My last litter of dogs all started with names from the TV show Heroes (hence why Claire is named Claire... after the cheerleader).

Anyways, one pup was named Hiro (pronounced the same as "hero"). Another puppy owner loved the name so much she called her little guy Hiro, too.

So how about Hiro or Hero for your little guy? I also like Lance though :)

Nicki said...

$10! What a deal. I've spent more than that doing all the work myself! How about Hercules?

Judy said...

I think Lance is a noble name, but Arthur demands respect (or Arty). I hope he takes care of your mouse problem. Our last mouse a month ago hauled the trap away with him(weird)..we had to go on a hunt

TAG ALONG said...

What a cute Kitty... Aislyn thinks you should name him Arty ( from Shrek) or Sir Roland ( haha from garfield )

Jenny Glen said...

I'm so glad you got a cat! They are great for so many reasons, they are of course the safest way to take care of mice (no poison or traps) and there is nothing like watching tv on a cold winter night with your dog(s) snuggled next to you on the couch and your cat on your lap. AND, you saved a cat - that's the best thing!

miradukesadie said...

awww so cute!

AGRO: From a Celtic word meaning "battle; slaughter."

ANDERS: Scandinavian form of Greek Andreas, meaning "man; warrior."

BAATAR (Баатар): Modern form of Mongolian Baghatur, meaning "hero" or "warrior."

DALEK: Pet form of Czech Dalibor, meaning "distant battle."

GUNNAR: Scandinavian form of Old Norse Gunnarr, meaning "soldier, warrior."

HONDO: Egyptian name meaning "war."

NERO: Short form of Italian Raniero, meaning "wise warrior." Compare with another form of Nero.

VALTER: Scandinavian form of German Walther, meaning "ruler of the army."