Friday, October 16, 2009

Seven Groups

On one of the forums I frequent there was a question that I thought would make a good blog post.

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE A DOG FROM EACH CKC/AKC "GROUP," WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?
(excluding your own breeds)

Group 1- Sporting
Group 2- Hound
Group 3- Working
Group 4- Terriers
Group 5- Toys
Group 6- Non Sporting
Group 7- Herding

There are lots of dog breeds that I like, and some that I would seriously consider owning. It's nice sometimes to dream :o)

My Seven Goups

Group 1- Flatcoated Retriever. I am slightly obsessed with them, it's the most logical choice for me to make. :o) I admire the work ethic, the personality, and the looks of the breed. The high rate of cancer scares me to death though. But they are truly great dogs.

Group 2- Whippets are about the only Group 2 dog I think that I like beyond just their looks. Every Whippet I have met has had a great personality. They are also super athletic and make great agility dogs. I couldn't actually own this breed, but I do enjoy them.

Group 3- I LOVE the look of a Rottweiler. Everything about them impresses me. It is a great breed, one that I would consider if I didn't love agility so much.

Group 4- Jack Russell hands down. One day I will have one. I love the never give up attitude, and fiesty-ness that comes with a terrier. They are great looking dogs, and a nice size.

Group 5- Italian Greyhounds. I dog-sat one once and fell in love. They are unbelievably soft, and warm. Love the looks, but not quite tough enough for me to actually own one.

Group 6- Dalmatian. I have always admired them. Strange eh? I like the look and the spots are cool. (I am a sucker for freckles/spots) and I think I would enjoy the change in temperament- they are goofy and independent. I am always surprised there aren't more playing agility as they are very athletic.

Group 7- This was a hard one. I love lots of the herding breeds. But I'd have to say that my favorite (other than "my" breeds) are Australian Shepherds. I love the wiggle butt, the personality, and the look. The coat is beautiful, and a good looking Aussie is breathtaking.

Anyway, I encourage all of you to post it to your blog and let us know what breeds you like and why. Make sure you leave a comment so we know you've done it!

11 comments:

Visichy said...

Oh fun!
Group 1 - German Shorthaired Pointer
Group 2 - Bloodhound
Group 3 - Mastiff or Bullmastiff
Group 4 - Smooth Fox Terrier
Group 5 - Pomeranian
Group 6 - Dalmation
Group 7 - Smooth Collie

K9-CRAZY said...

That WAS fun! My choices were:
Group 1 - German Wirehaired Pointer
Group 2 - Saluki
Group 3 - Rottweiler
Group 4 - Border Terrier
Group 5 - Miniature Pinscher
Group 6 - Schipperke
Group 7 - Belgian Malinois

Sarah said...

practicality aside for some of these choices .. they are just nice to look at ....

Group 1 - Duck Toller
Group 2 - Saluki (graceful and pretty)
Group 3 - Bernese Mountain Dog (only Maggie or Bosley)
Group 4 - Miniature Bull Terrier (come on, cute)
Group 5 - Affenpinscher (those faces!)
Group 6 - French Bulldog (guilty pleasure)
Group 7 - Border Collie :) I can break the rules
.... or Belgian Groenendal :)

Taryn said...

Too bad life is too short to actually accomplish our lists and give each breed enough attention/training. Maybe if I was independently wealthy I could pull it off :-)

Kim said...

This was fun! You can read about my "picks" on my blog.

oddman said...

oooh, fun...

Grp 1 - Am. Water Spaniel (love the temperament)
Grp 2 - Ibizan Hound (goofy and fun)
Grp 3 - Dobe (gorgeous)
Grp 4 - Scottie (character)
Grp 5 - Pap, no question
Grp 6 - Mini Poodle (less grooming, lol)
Grp 7 - Briard or that silly Euro dog, what is he, Berger Picard? Love him.


Andi

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

I just found your blog from "it's a bernerful life" where Kim stole your idea. So now I have stolen it too and have posted my pics on my blog. We have several of the same answers (and I also own a corgi along with a toller).

1. flat coat
2. whippet
3. berners
4. jrt
5.papillion
6. american eskimo
7. border collie

Natalie said...

I will play! My answers will be on my blog.

dreameyce said...

Good idea! I'll post :)

Nicki said...

I posted my answers!

Jules said...

I am posting my answers today. better late than never!