Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Acrobatics

My dogs LOVE apples. We have a giant apple tree in our yard, and I go out every other day or so to pick up the fallen ones so the dogs don't overdo it.

I am dogsitting at Wendy's right now and she has an itty bitty apple tree in her yard. And it was LOADED with apples. I say Was, because the dogs have picked it clean as far as they can reach. And boy, did they ever reach.

Pixel has it down to a science now- she bites the branch and pulls it low enough to grab one...Boone is resourceful and uses the fence, or his shorter siblings to stand on. Not even kidding. They are determined when there is food to be had! These pics were taken through the window, sorry for the bad quality, but I had to share...

>





This means that I have to stand outside in the freezing cold with them to make sure they don't wreck the tree, and hurt their tummies. Today I even had to go out and guard the tree itself...even with all the low apples gone they continue to try.

Coulee was the only good dog.

8 comments:

penni said...

My dogs love apples as well. My neighbor has an apple tree and only one iarge branch overhangs my yard. This must have been a great year for apples because for the past eight weeks, I've been taking a bushel a week out of the yard. However, I think the dogs devoured another bushel a week. Diet time for the little red pig!

onecollie said...

ewwwww! I have to come home to all that snow!!! yuck!
oh, great pictures!!

Diana said...

Man Amanda, dont you feed those dogs? Lol Cute pictures. Diana

Jules said...

Smart dogs!

Taryn said...

Great Pictures! Apples aren't that interesting to my guys that they would have put that much effort in. They really only want to eat apples when people eat apples.....

Dawn said...

Laughing-smart silly dogs. Love how smart they are. My guys really dont care about the apples from the neighbors tree.

oddman said...

Smart dogs. My Mouse used to jump up, grab a branch, hang on, and bounce, which would shake more off the tree. So everyone could have a snack. And lots of bulk in their 'leavings'. Sigh.

Andi

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Our corgis love apples too. I'm not sure however that they would attempt in tree climbing, he hee...to get at them. Cannot believe the amount of snow you have already. Sheesh!